Bit of a read - opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(*Wasn't sure where to put this -it's not really a question about specific diy field but it is about diy - sorry if its in the wrong place*)

I thinking of getting an additional WC installed as my 3 bed only has the one bathroom, I want to sell mine after the house prices settle again but dont want to devalue my place, or put people off because I just did what I wanted.

Background:

My 3 bed property only has a medium sized family bathroom, not only does this kind-of annoy us but i think will reduce the chances of me selling the property.
(other similar place do have a very small wc)

The only place i can put a wc would be by the front door using a small room currently housing the washer + dryer.

(This room would be pretty much perfect, hot and cold supply and waste pipe right nearby, all it would need would be a door blocking off and other put on the other side.)

But this would mean the washer + dryer would have to be put in another cupboard down the hall. (which could be awkward as it would only just fit and might feel stuffed in there.) (?)

Finally onto my question;

As a unbiased observer what would you prefer?

The modern, good sized, additional WC.

Or

The extra seperate space to hide all the washing and cleaning equipment.

(Handy as it's ajoining the kitchen.)

Any opinions would be a great help, any thoughts or comments would also be really helpfull.

I personally would like to do this, but I have seen so many people put what they want into a property that they are trying to sell it really annoys me.

After all when selling a property should be your own but not so to your own tastes that it puts other people off.

chears,

~ben
[/u]

Sponsored Links
IMO an extra WC is very useful

Make sure you have plumbing and especially an extractor duct for the dryer (even condensor driers put out quite a lot of steam) and make it look very neat, with a door that folds right back. I suppose you will need some kind of wet-proof hard flooring around it as well. If you can get it to open into the kitchen that might look better. Make it look light and airy, not a dark, damp corner

They say a second toilet adds value to the property.

But I prefer a utility room as we did in our house.

We had a coal house & a W.C . next to each other, took out the toilet, knocked the dividing wall down and fed Hot & cold water along with some electric sockets.

Now the washer, dryer and the fridge freezer sit out of the way of the kitchen & that allowed me more cupboard space when i fitted the kitchen as well.

So I say leave em as they are.

Sponsored Links
I'd prefer the utility room, I'd much prefer to have all my washing and cleaning appliances hidden and just have to walk a little further to use the toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back