Damp Flat (will a Nuair Flatmaster help?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, forgive me but im new to this forum thing so if iv put this in the wrong place im sorry. Im looking for peoples opinions on the Nuair Flatmaster. Im in a council property and have really bad problems with mould in both bedrooms. They have cleared some rubble from the cavity and put new cavity wall insulation in. Iv also used the mould paint twice in both rooms but its still coming back. They have now said they would fit a Flatmaster if i want, the only thing is the man who suggested this has said that people turn them off in winter because they blow out cold air. So my problem is, the mould is worse in the winter and if i have to turn it off is there much point to it. Is it true that they blow cold? and do they really work?

Sponsored Links
These devices simply circulate and filter the warmer air from ceiling level, and blow it (gently) down towards the floor - as far as I know.
Personally I dont think it will help a great deal with your problem - although it will be better than nothing.
Your solution needs to prevent the ingress of moisture and then allow plenty of air exchange......which means no washing left around drying, always use the ventilator fan in the bathroom, together with a cooker hood extractor -- the list goes on.
I think a dehumidifier would be your best bet, at around £100 for a domestic one. In this weather it could extract about 3 litres of water per day, but much less if its cold outside.
John :)

Hello John, thanks for the reply. Iv got a constant extractor fan in the bathroom and kitchen that run 24/7 and has boost. The tumble dryer is vented and i dont have to dry clothes inside so im really at my wits end on what to do. I think they suggested the Flatmaster because he said it would clean the air too. My four year old is constantly ill which the doctors have said the damp is causing so i guess there idea is that it would help. I looked at the website and it says there vented from outside which is why im concerned about it being cold. My flats not the warmest at the best of times. Could the damp be from the ground and walls and not due to condensation ? All the rooms have air vents in the walls but its just the end wall that the damp appears.

Pics of the offending wall inside and out would help? Otherwise we are just guessing.What is the heat source?

Sponsored Links
The dampness could indeed be due to the construction of the property - maybe its an idea to ask if any of your neighbours who have a similar property have the same problem?
I'd be inclined to mention the fact to the housing department - in no uncertain terms - that the property is causing your 4 year old to be ill, and ask what they are going to do about it....?
I wouldn't be convinced that the Nuair would be a success, as any moving air in winter especially would seem to be cold. At this point I think a dehumidifier would be the best bet. However, they do need to be running 24/7 to be effective, but the plus point is that they aren't too noisy.
From your post I guess you are on the ground floor, so rising damp could be an issue. Your bedroom windows need to be double glazed too.
John :)

They know all about my son. even the doctor wrote to them. I think thats why they said about the flatmaster as i dont know of any one else here having one fitted. All the ground floor flats here have the same damp as i do and they get told its life style conditions. I had the same thought as you about the moving air being cold but it doesnt say anywhere on the web site. I will try to put some pics up tomorrow. I ask about it being the building because the mould is not just on the walls but on anything in contact with the floor, even my shoes that were neatly lined up :cry: . Iv got double glazing and gas central heating.

The Nuaire Flatmaster 2000 has an integral heater which is activated when the temperature of the incoming air is less than 10°C.

Here is a quote from a pdf on the Nuaire website:

The Flatmaster 2000 unit includes a remote manual boost switch for increased airflow. When additional heating of the incoming air is required, the thermostatically controlled integral heater can be used. The heater has a manual override. The heater, when enabled, is activated when the temperature of the incoming air falls below 10°C, unless set to a different temperature.

There are more details about how the system works if you open the pdf on the website called BBA Certificate 00/3727 for Flatmaster an Flatmaster 2000 systems or click here if it works http://www.nuaire.co.uk/docs/3727ps2i1_web.pdf

This isn't an area of my expertees, but I live 5 minutes away from the factory and have several family members working there, one of which pointed me in the direction to look for this info.

Hope it's of some use to you and your little boy. ;)

hi, I have had the same problem with damp and mould, I'm in a groundfloor council flat the problem as been on the gable end wall and floor, the council said its condensation they have put sempatap on the walls and sempafloor on the floor and was told I wouldn't get anymore damp or mould all therain we had in June and July started getting damp on the floor and halfway across our bed and mould on the floor and skirting boards along the end wall, they are now going to fit the flatmaster in my flat , I'm not convinced its going to work, we have extractor in bathroom and kitchen don't dry washing indoors the property as cavity wall insulation the problem is only on one side of the room,we know there are holes in the roof where the birds are nesting, some of the brickwork at ground level as bits broken off I'm convinced it either rising damp or the roof the insulation is. about 30 years old when we had some new window fitted there was hardly any insulation mainly bird nest, I'm asmathic and had to sleep in our living room for six months because it was so bad it made feel ill, since the sempatap and sempafloor as been fitted it as been a little bit warmer but still getting damp floor and bed, ill keeill let you if the flatmaster solves the problem? not hopeful

Does anyone (Pinkstimpy?, Funbags25?) have any update on the results of having the Flatmaster system or a similar system installed? Did it help at all or do you consider the difference it makes negligible?

Thanks

Iv not had it in for long so not really sure if its making a difference yet. I did insist that they couldnt put one into the flat unless it had the heater in as they were going to put the cheap one without in and people i spoke to said it made the flat so cold. I can say though there not as noisy as i though either. I guess i will find out how well it does over the winter as thats when things get bad here. x

These positive pressure fans do work. But if the occupants are still producing excessive condensation and not altering their lifestyle, then mould will still develop.

They are not a magical cure, and the occupants have to do their bit

There should also be adequate means of heating, and no other damp issues or building defects contributing to the condensation

does anybody drape wet washing around your home, or over radiators?

How often are the windows opened?

Theres no washing hanging around as i have a tumble dryer and washing line. Iv done everything they tell you to regarding windows etc and the problem has still gone on. Im not convinced its condensation as i cant see how that would cause my carpets and anything else thats in contact with the floor to be wet. My furniture in both rooms and the hall way are becoming mouldy from the ground up. Im sure the fact theres no cement left in the out side wall is not helping either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back