Advice on Reducing Room Size as Part of Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we live in a fairly small 2 bed property - we would love to move but the cost off moving to a 3 bed property is outside of our budget at present. So we want to convert our loft.

At present we have 1 (main) bedroom that is 11ft x 10ft6 and then the second bedroom which is 6ft6 x 10ft6 - The upstairs bathroom which is partly over the stairs has stolen some space from bedroom 2.

In order to put a staircase in to get to the new loft room (which would be 12ft x 10ft6) we would need to remodel the bedroom 2 side of the house moving the bathroom. This means we would end up with quite a small bedroom here 5ft x 8ft6 however this would now be more of a box room / study with bedroom 2 now being the loft room.

My concerns are over devaluing the property or making it harder to sell. Would it be a mistake to reduce the size of the bedroom still further to get into the loft or will the reduction in size here be worth the gain of the loft room?

For reference the bathroom which is currently very small will end up being about 5ft6 x 5ft 10.

Ultimately I would like to spend the money we have (about 50K) to make our house worth more so we can close the gap to the next property. So if I spent 50K on it I would like to increase the value by more than 50K.

We would also be adding a small kitchen extension.

I can do a lot of the work myself so i am confident we can keep within my budget.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I just don't know the best way to proceed to give my family a bigger home :(

Sponsored Links
local estate agents will be your best bet
no one here can know the local market

Hard to say, but adding bedrooms is about the most cost efficient way of adding value, with a loft conversion probably being the cheapest way of doing this.
I would struggle to call anything at 5' wide a bedroom.
Can you stick up a layout of the 1st floor, there may be another way.

Sponsored Links
I would say how long you intend on staying has a large bearing on things, if only five years you'll not see any gain, if say 20 yeasr then you'll not lose. That bathroom is small but it can be made to work (mine is smaller), had you considered a spacesave stair to see if that will help, I expect Building Control would allow it here as I agree with chappers that a 5ft bedroom is not really a bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back