Damp Flat (will a Nuair Flatmaster help?)

is it a concrtete floor?

I'm thinking of a leaky pipe, or possibly radiator.

Sponsored Links
yep concrete floor. The problems have been going on for years, long before i moved in here. when the wet weather kicks in the carpets get soaked which is why i really dont think the problem is condensation. when the grounds wet outside its wet inside if that makes any sense

Foxhole that vent is filled in anyway as it was broken on the outside and birds living in the wall so they came out and filled it.

roll up the carpet.

photo the floor

show us

I'm especially interested in any part that is particularly wet, or doesn't dry out.

Are the radiator pipes in the floor?

Look at where the water pipe comes up in the kitchen. Look at where the stopcock is the the pavement or garden. Is the wet patch between them?

If it happens in wet weather it might be rainwater getting in from a broken drain or high water table. Look at any gullies or downpipes. Look at the DPC and see where it is in relation to ground level.

Sponsored Links
in the photos of the walls, the tidemark appears to be somewhat above the skirting and low down in the corners, which does suggest a wet floor. As well as leaking pipes, this can also be caused by a leaky sink or washing machine, or a failed damp proof membrane, though yours looks worse than that.

Lots of ventilation will always reduce humidity in the home, so clear that ventilator and open the windows while you have the chance.

The housing dept will always assume, until proved otherwise, that damp is due to wet washing being draped around the home and lack of ventilation, because in 99 cases out of a hundred, that's the cause.

If you tightly tape a piece of clear plastic to the wall, observe if moisture forms on the room side of the plastic (condensation from the air) or on the wall side (water from the wall). You can do the same to the floor. If you have rubber-backed carpet or vinyl flooring it will be interesting to see what's under it. If wet, photograph it, then open all the windows for a couple hours and see if it dries out in parts, then photo it again.

I am, as you can guess, very much thinking about a leaky pipe in the floor.

Foxhole that vent is filled in anyway as it was broken on the outside and birds living in the wall so they came out and filled it.
Main cause of mold is lack of ventilation, blocking vent will be a major cause.

I am, as you can guess, very much thinking about a leaky pipe in the floor.

Its a council house, and as such highly unlikely to have any pipes in the floor.

The mould pattern is classic condensation. It's visibly bad on the walls and will also soak the floor

maybe.

and maybe it's the floor. A wet floor will cause the air to be damp andcondensation to form.

the tide-mark seems to be rising up from the skirting.
164000_163934_48845_43443732_thumb.jpg

Iv got a constant extractor fan in the bathroom and kitchen that run 24/7 and has boost. The tumble dryer is vented and i dont have to dry clothes inside

the mould is not just on the walls but on anything in contact with the floor, even my shoes that were neatly lined up

With that mould pattern, it tends to be condensation running down the wall and soaking the floor. The moisture is held at the base by a DPC and forms a stain similar to a tidemark of rising damp, but with certain different characteristics

There tends not to be mould on rising damp

There is also the possibility of a bridged cavity at DPC level leading to the wall at that location being cooler, which is causing or contributing to the condensation

The OP should insist that the council do a full investigation (invasive tests), as the fitting of the PP fan will not in itself cure structural dampness and associated mould.

Failing that, see a Solicitor for action under the Housing Disrepair Protocol, who will then arrange independent tests

The thing to remember, is that the landlord will not be responsible for condensation, unless it is caused by a defect (eg bridged DPC). A damp floor due to no DPM is not a defect.

Get some legal advice

have installed flatmasters, and other positive pressure systems, the owner and landlord involved very pleased with results, can be very effective, but obviously depends on the amount of moisture getting into the air and fabric. has eliminated the black mold and his having to get properties redecorated so often. Nuaire are very helpful with their advice.

have installed flatmasters, and other positive pressure systems, the owner and landlord involved very pleased with results, can be very effective, but obviously depends on the amount of moisture getting into the air and fabric. has eliminated the black mold and his having to get properties redecorated so often. Nuaire are very helpful with their advice.
It's effective because it increases ventilation, but expensive considering good ventilation is free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back