best treatment for garden furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought some garden furniture from the forest garden range (an arbour, arch etc.) As the weather is turning for the worst, is it worth me treating them now or waiting until next year? Also, what is the best treatment for wooden furniture? (it's not hardwood, not sure if it's pressurised or treated) stains, paint, preservers? Any tips on applying it in those fiddly areas? brush, sponge etc.

any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Linseed or tung oil. Not boiled, danish, teak or any other fancy stuff, just plain raw is fine. If using linseed, you can get a linseed wax to finish with.

Oil is applied daily for the first week, weekly for the first month, then monthly for the rest of the year. Heating it up with a hot air gun will make it penetrate more without having to use thinners.

All this is pointless unless it is just plain wood. If it has some sort of sealer on it, there's no point, hence it's pointless.

oilman said:
... then monthly for the rest of the year. ...

Do you mean monthly, every month, every year?

Don't know if I could be bothered.

sounds a bit excessive oilman. I was just looking for a once yearly application; something like cuprinol or ronseal. Just needed to know which did a good job. I'll try your linseed treatment on my cricket bat!

Sponsored Links
At the end of the first year you can do it once a year. So it will eventually be once a year. For poison based chemicals you will have to keep people away from it, and it will stink until the solvent dries. With oil, it'll dry in a day with very little smell, and if some little person gets near it when it's wet, no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back