Best type of fascia ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the best way of venting the roof. Im about to get my guttering/facias etc replaced with UPVC. However, from reading on the net you can either vent via the soffit ( continuous soffit ) or via a over fascia vent. Is the latter any good as the air appears to have to travel through the gutter to get in. I would have thought this would have been pretty sheltered. On the other hand I have heard soffit ventilation can look less desirable after a short amount of time due to dust, cobwebs etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Over fascia is above the line of the gutter and provides the best unobtrusive and continuous ventilation for your roof space.

soffit vents can get blocked by the insulation.

can i clip the over facia vents to 9mm capping board or will i need a thicker wooden facia board behind the capping

Sponsored Links
Capping board needs a timber facia to support it which would give the required depth for over facia vents.

Who is doing your replacement? A proper roofing company or an ex-window fitting company?

The over fascia vents need careful fitting by knowledgeable people as a replacement. Do you have insulation between the rafters? That points to needing Over Fascia vents.

Ventilated soffits only have problems with granular loft insulation.

Discuss with the chaps planning your job to make a final decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back