Best type of filler for plaster ceiling coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I have had various attempts before to fill the gaps in plaster coving. All types that I use seem to crack. :cry: I have now put up new coving in my new house and I wondered if anyone had advice on best type of filler which won't crack.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Caulk should be ok...but dont hump it on, it takes a long time to completely dry and if you paint over it to soon the paint will crack or craze.

Hi Zampa

Will caulk work for large gaps? The ceiling and walls are out in places and I have gaps which are about 5mm between the coving and the ceiling. Also will caulk work between 2 pieces of coving where I have left a gap?

Thanks for your advice. It is greatly appreciated ;)

Id say......

No and no...

For the reasons above, deep caulk takes ages to really hrden and even then it remains flexible...so any movement will cause the paint to crack or craze.

Where to bits of coving meet id go for ordinary filler...so you can sand it flat, you cant do that with caulk...plus it shrinks, so you'l have to fill it a few times.

As a tip...trim the edge of the two bits of coving back a little otherwise the paper face of the coving may fur up and show through, even after its filled.

For filling deep gaps try and get a bag of the coving adhesive, it comes in small bags, ..just make sure you wipe it over with a dpam sponge after and dont leave any on the surface...it dries like concrete.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa.

I have Artex ready mixed adhesive. Would this be suitable for the large gaps? Also, the filler for inbetween 2 bits of coving, should I use a ready mixed or a powder filler? I have used ready mixed before and they seem to crack.

Thanks again.

Ready mixed is ok for fine face filling...but not deep stuff...it sets as hard as rock, dont bother with it...use poweder filler, put it in with your finger then finish off with a damp sponge

The artex stuff should be ok...the ready mixed ones may run or sag a little though...poke it in deep with a filling knife, dont try and fill it in one go...build it up..

Something Zampa said earlier about the cove adhesive setting like concrete. I am sure I used some adhesive that was easy to sand - are there diff types. This was to fit paper faced polystyrene(YUK!) so maybe it is not as heavy duty as for plaster coving. Just curious.

Plasterboard adhesive and cove adhesive (in powder form) both sand pretty easily in my experience. They make very good fillers.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back