Best type of heating/hot water for a new install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 young children. Likely to expand at some point.

House is detached with no hot water or central heating so a blank canvas, only stipulation is an oil boiler as we're off the grid :) incoming water supply is off a 25mm new pipe. I know i'll need to check pressure/flow, however it seems very very good.

I was thinking

System boiler
santon system fit 300ltr indirect unvented tank
2 zone ch, upstairs and downstairs.

Anyone think this will do the job? Or have other ideas?

Sponsored Links
That is what I would recommend. You could get away with a smaller cylinder but if you are planning on extending your family then makes more sense to go with a 300ltr.

Might be worth fitting a cylinder with a coil for solar, gives the option to fit a panel later.

Sponsored Links
We're a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 young children. Likely to expand at some point.

House is detached with no hot water or central heating so a blank canvas, only stipulation is an oil boiler as we're off the grid :) incoming water supply is off a 25mm new pipe. I know i'll need to check pressure/flow, however it seems very very good.

I was thinking

System boiler
santon system fit 300ltr indirect unvented tank
2 zone ch, upstairs and downstairs.

Anyone think this will do the job? Or have other ideas?

You're quite lucky being off the gas main.
That narrows your choice down to a few good quality oil boilers that you can diy on and not have to rely on gas sharks who charge a premium everytime they step over your thresh hold.

We have an ACV 400L SLME which has been reliable with quick recovery from large DHW draws and has a 11kw solar coil. They make a 300L too.

19 months ago we swapped to biomass with a Herz Pelletstar 30 and it's been totally reliable but does need the space for a fuel store and in our case we put the boiler in the shed too. This is at my work but there are now deals for domestic with RHI payments like the solar but not so generous. Might be worth a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back