Best type of pipe for a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, thinking about putting a sink in my garage for cleaning muddy boots etc. One thing which I am worried about though is the pumbing freezing in extreme cold conditions like that expirienced in dec 2010 and flooding the garage. What is the normal practice for installing plumbing in unheated buildings? I know insulation will help but if the temp is below 0 and the tap not used for an extended length of time will it still freeze despite being insulated? What type of pipe is best? Copper, Speedfit or Is it possible to buy pipe which can cope with expansion without breaking?

Sponsored Links
Whatever is easiest - just make sure that you can easily isolate the pipes with a full bore valves and can drain them easily when the weather get too cold.

To do the job properly you use whatever pipe you want to but ensure isolating valves are lotated WITHIN the thermal envelope of the building!

Tony

Thanks for that. If the feed to the garage is underground, how would I drain the pipework lower than the tap? Another (easier to install!) option would be an overhead supply, the gap is about 6'. Perhaps make a plywood box about 6 inch square with the pipe in the middle and filled with insulation, sufficient to protect it from overnight frost? That way I can make all the pipework downhill between the stop tap inside the house and the tap in the garage to make it easy to drain during periords of extreme cold.

Sponsored Links
Insulation is just that!

Once the heat has escaped its very cold!

You have to force water out of low level pipes with compressed air!

Supose it depends how often you intend to use it. A bucket of hot water and a hose to rinse down would be cheaper and less hassle ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back