1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best type of screw for Melamine.

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by conny, 9 Mar 2021.

1. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As the title says.
    I have about 80 doors to drill and screw 'snap' frames to but ordinary wood screws are not cutting it, pardon the pun.
    I've pre-drilled to 2.5mm pilot holes and the doors are 12mm thick so I am limited to 12mm in length, (the snap frame will add about 2-3m thickness.
    the doors are high impact melamine and we cannot have the screws bursting through the outer face.
    Are there special screws for this type of work?
    The current hinges and coat hooks are screwed into what appears to be tapped holes with fine thread set screws but that is not an option for me.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    there is a "Euro Screw" used for the hinges, drawer runners etc on kitchen cabinets which are laminated chipboard or MDF and must not burst through. It has an unusually wide diameter and cuts a thread into the pre-drilled hole. The shape is quite unusual. Various sizes are sold but I've only ever needed the ones that are used with hinges and other cabinet fittings.

EuroScrews.jpg

There are also "chipboard screws" which look more like a coarse woodscrew but I think are not as strong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is just one word, "Hospa". Their screws are specifically designed for use by the kitchen trade, so they should be ideal

• Like Like x 1