Best type of screw for Melamine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says.
I have about 80 doors to drill and screw 'snap' frames to but ordinary wood screws are not cutting it, pardon the pun.
I've pre-drilled to 2.5mm pilot holes and the doors are 12mm thick so I am limited to 12mm in length, (the snap frame will add about 2-3m thickness.
the doors are high impact melamine and we cannot have the screws bursting through the outer face.
Are there special screws for this type of work?
The current hinges and coat hooks are screwed into what appears to be tapped holes with fine thread set screws but that is not an option for me.

Sponsored Links
there is a "Euro Screw" used for the hinges, drawer runners etc on kitchen cabinets which are laminated chipboard or MDF and must not burst through. It has an unusually wide diameter and cuts a thread into the pre-drilled hole. The shape is quite unusual. Various sizes are sold but I've only ever needed the ones that are used with hinges and other cabinet fittings.

EuroScrews.jpg

There are also "chipboard screws" which look more like a coarse woodscrew but I think are not as strong.

There is just one word, "Hospa". Their screws are specifically designed for use by the kitchen trade, so they should be ideal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back