Best Underlay for Laminate on Suspended Timber Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a post from a year ago: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/laminate-and-underlay-on-ground-suspended-timber-floor.598199/

which recommended Multitex? is that still the go-to? or has anything new come out since then?

Just to add, we have the suspended floor insulated and has a damp-proof membrane just under the wooden floor itself.

1702952465344.jpeg

1702954832228.png

Interfloor recommended me woodtex, silent floor gold or timbermate excel

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I used similar stuff to timbermate - might actually of been that on my floor which was the same as yours but that was with engineered oak floor. Which probably has more tollerance to uneven floors so you might need to go for something that is more suited to taking out unevenness.
Having said that I fitted laminate in 3 bedrooms with a 3mm foam sheet underlay and it worked very well but I did make sure there was no floorboards that were sticking up and any that looked cupped I went over with a planer to get it all as flat as possible.

Interfloor recommended me woodtex, silent floor gold or timbermate excel

I used this stuff, it’s heavy and it gives a nice dead sound when walking on the floor.

Sponsored Links
Multitex is/was TimbermateXL without the mositure Barrier in-built, both are still the best Laminate/Engineered underlay you can buy.

Would the Double DPM be bad for the floor or is that nothing to worry about? I'm sure I remember seeing something about if the floor has a DPM to get underlay without one?

thanks

Would the Double DPM be bad for the floor or is that nothing to worry about? I'm sure I remember seeing something about if the floor has a DPM to get underlay without one?

thanks

Duralay do the Timbermate XL for concrete floors and Multi Tex for wood floors although you are unlikely to have an issue with Timbermate XL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back