Best Varnish and stain for outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of these conical wooden things that I have made out of softwood, I was originally going to do them in Black Bitumen, but the plan has now changed and they are now to be finnished with a dark stain or varnish to highlight the grain.

The wood is pine and they are to be outdoors in all the weather (they're going to be fence post tops!) I somehow don't think they will survive outdoors but I'm just doing as I am bid.

I have some woodstain of the correct colour, (they def need to be darker) could I put a yacht varnish on top of that - is yacht varnish any good. What would be the very best finnish to give them the best chance of surviving a few years?

What do you recommend ?

xwh-2745.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sadolin Classic,

Used it to protect the exposed to weather timbers of our timber framed house in 1980. Timbers are still in good condition.

Congratulations on your skilled woodwork.

Agree with bernardgreen.
Sadolin woodstain has resisted all weather for over 10 years on my outdoor furniture and still looks grand.

I've also used everbuild woodstain on decorative items exposed to the elements and it resists very well.

Sponsored Links
so whatis the difference between a stain and a varnish ?

I'd say the varnish will cover the woodgrain and give an impermeable barrier to prevent rain getting through while a stain will soak into the grain and protect the wood from within. For best protection, varnish is the better option.

Historically, a stain only changed the colour of the timber and required a protective coating (often varnish of some type).

The aforementioned Sadolins is an "oil" (not massively disimular to something like Danish oil) but available in various tinted finishes.

Sikkens is another alternative.

Personally, I would go for the appropriate Sadolin or Sikkens product (depending on which your local supplier stocks).

We had a new gate fitted last year that was oiled and i left it to weather for a year to allow a variation of colour in the wood so it won't have a uniform colour when i apply varnish this year - when the bloody weather brightens up, at least. Fizzin' rain only just stopped here. This Spring's been a washout, so i'm looking for a quality exterior varnish to protect it.

Varnish requires regular checks for any wear or damage which could allow water to reach the timber and soak into the timber.
It does; especially in those hard-to-reach spots in the corners - and those hard-to-see areas, such as top and bottom of the gate, in my case. Our entryway is easily mossed-up so it's an annual chore, but i'd like to put three coats of varnish across the gate to keep the teak tidy for at least five years in advance.

No responses for 2 years then 5 in a couple of hours

I painted them Grey, seemed a shame to loose the grain, buts that's what was decided for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back