Best wall insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right I've just cut off an old canopy garage door to fit a new side hinged version to allow access to the wall the previous owners fitted from the inside when converting the garage into a room.

They fitted a timber frame with battens and attached plasterboard to the interior side. There was no insulation fitted so I want to put something in between the battons to insulate from the cold.

What is the best stuff to use? I have seen the foil backed boards in wicks and b&q so will these suffice to help keep the room warmer?

Sponsored Links
i used 100mm foil faced kingspan type ( from a local merchant),over an air gap provided by tile batten (batten was screwed to the wall for the air gap), i then glued plasterboard to the kingspan and skimmed it.

gorgeous job and the room is a lot easier to heat in the winter now.

the air gap is a condensation thing.

if you go to the kingspan or celotex websites they have solutions for retrofitting insulation.

Thanks for the reply can I simply fit celotex/kingspan insulation between the battons and screw on ply sheets on top as the garage doors will hide it? This then leaves a 30cm gap between the ply and steel garage door. The interior room has windows and a patio door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back