Best was to chase cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wondered if you could help?? we have done things a little backwards, we have have the hallway plastered and then decided we need a lightswitch putting in, i know theres chasers you can buy, but just wondered if there was an cheap and easier way to do this without making a mess??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Lump hammer and chisel, it'll take a wee bit longer but if it's just for the one it'll save you money. Just my two pence.

If you are just cutting the one chase you could try cutting the 2 grooves with a tenon saw and then gently chiselling the centre out. Need a bit of patience but it saves destroyjng the surrounding plaster too much and not as dusty as a small grinder/cutter.

Sponsored Links
If you were in my area I would charge 15 for the chase using my chasing machine connectd to a vacume cleaner. Makes a bit of dust but not that much

Have a ring round your local sparks,

Martin

This leaves a really neat chase that can be neatly back filled. Hitting with a hammer could have loads falling off if it has just been done.

Hitting with a hammer could have loads falling off if it has just been done.

Which is why I suggested the tenon saw.

£15 is that just for the chase?

I don't get it? wireless light switch I mean.

i want an outside light installed but the nearest plug (power supply) to where I want the internal light switch to be is under the stairs. I have had a quote of £80 to get the light switch connected to the plug which means chasing up the wall. can a wireless light switch be installed without chasing?

Chain drill along centre of chase with 15 or 18mm masonry bit, and tidy up the edges with a hammer and bolster?

I like the tenon saw idea, but the saw probably won't be a lot of good afterwards. Still, a cheap 'n' cheerful one would probably do the job....

can a wireless light switch be installed without chasing?
Yes.

You can get battery powered ones, or MK now do one which harvests the power it needs from all the RF that's around. How well that works I wouldn't know - might be worth posting a separate Q here, and on a few other sites.

Battery should be fine though.

Maybe they could make one which has 2 small spikes of different metal which you jamb your thumb onto and turn yourself temporarily into a battery. :LOL:

People encountering switches at "Part M heights" are advised to resist the temptation to jam the spikes into other body parts. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back