Best way for me to create a warm and dry loft space...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Background
We've recently moved into a 1980's built bungalow.

The loft is a standard truss design extending about 10m in length.

There is a layer of non breathable old type felt below the roof tiles. The loft is ventilated on one side by a full length trench vent. On the other side, the same style vent has been covered by a flat roof extension. To compensate, tile vents have been installed in the main roof and soffit vents in the flat roof. However, this side suffers from heavy condensation on the underside of the roofing felt.

There is roughly 300mm of mineral wall type insulation on the loft floor. It has been boarded over in the centre for storage.

What we want...
We want to make this a warm loft. We run a business from home and have always kept our stock in the loft. This wasn't a problem in our old house. The loft was great. But here, the items are becoming cold (brittle) and worse, damp. We would like to convert to a warm loft area.

The idea
Based on the construction of our old loft, we would like to insulate on the rafters, leaving 50mm+ space behind for airflow. This would be done with foil backed Kingspan or similar. We would seal with tape. And remove the mineral wall insulation from the joists to allow heat up into the loft.

Would this work?
Does this sound like a good idea? We are very concerned about the condensation. The answer to that seems to be more ventilation, but because we want a warm loft, we would rather try and control it using the Kingspan as a vapour layer and of course, to further protect our items. Would condensation form on the 'warm side' of the Kingspan?

Basically just looking for any type of advice you can offer. Have read so many conflicting opinions on what to do, I just don't know.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could introduce a continuous ridge vent system, on the flat roof side a tile vent at low level between every truss, insulate under the truss rafters to ensure there's an adequate air gap with your kingspan. Effectively how a loft conversion would be insulated.

Hi. sorry for being an idiot. Can you elaborate what you mean?

I think you mean put a vent the entire length of the loft on the flat roof side of the ridge tiles? So this sits behind the Kingspan in the 50mm+ gap? Then a tile vent in every truss gap? There are 15 truss gaps on each side.

Cheers.

Yes if want adequate ventilation. Unless you have some other means of achieving the ventilation?

Sponsored Links
What I was thinking, but I don't know if sufficient, is to leave the 50mm gap behind the Kingspan going up to the top ridge, and then leave a gap there too, for the air to flow over the top of my 'insulated box' down to the hidden eaves that will be well ventilated. Ridge vent does seem like it would work well there too if I can do it. Does the insulated box need to be ventilated at all? Or just all around it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back