Best way of cutting through these slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been taking up the slabs in the garden to put in a new patio and some turf, however the slabs are the originals from when the house where built and cross over between our garden and next door. I need to cut them where the fence is as I obviously can't just dig up the slabs the go into there garden, especially as they have decking ontop of the slabs.

Thanks in advance.

fdSUB48.jpg

pUTs2bk.jpg

Sponsored Links
A 9" grinder might do the job, but if you use regular stone blades they wear quickly and might not cut deep enough to get through the slab thickness. A diamond blade would work better, but if you have more than one or two to cut then bite the bullet and hire a stone saw, like this (complete with a diamond blade)...

http://www.hss.com/hire/p/cut-off-saw-300mm-petrol

Remember they can be dangerous, so only use one of these if you're confident enough and are aware of the dangers.

a 9'' ginder will cut closer to the fence than a power saw/cut off saw which is quite bulky, however a cut off saw had a clutch should the blade catch making it miles safer. In a grinder if the blade catches your wrist is the clutch... Also a 9'' grinder will only cut about 65mm deep whereas a cut off saw will cut a full 100mm.

Sponsored Links
I've already got a 9inch angle grinder, could I score a line and then use a hammer and bolster to knock through deeper and break the slab along this line? I've got a total of 4 slabs to do.

Thanks

If you can cut halfway through the thickness they will almost certainly break at the line but Its always a risk. Older slabs may have minute cracks in them etc which will break when you hit it, Its safer obviously to fully cut it but if they are 50mm a 25mm score/cut should be ok.

If the flags are thicker than 50mm it may not go so well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back