Best way of dealing with a long step within 150mm of DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My head is spinning from researching this. Can someone please give me a heads-up on the way to do this?

What is the best way of dealing with a long step 40-75 mm below the level of the DPC without a gap for a drain, shingle etc?

The image shows our front door and doorstep. The front area of about 2m x 1m is bounded on 3 sides (our front wall with the door, our side wall and the neighbour's conservatory wall). The DPC is in the level 75mm above the doorstep, halfway between the doorstep and the door threshold, and is 2 brick heights (150mm) above the concrete approach to the steps.

My wife is going off the idea of a front porch like our neighbour's and wants a larger front step instead. I have to do something about this area as it floods in wet weather because the front lawn and concrete in front of the existing step slopes towards the house and there is no drain.
I could, of course, just put in a drain, but I'd like to do a bit better than that if I can.

I want to avoid a drain or shingle area against the side wall because people may step on it as the door frame is right up against the wall.

I don't want to knock out the existing door step. If I knew what the bricks were made of then I could make a fortune selling them as tank armour. It took 2 men with jackhammers over a day to remove a neighbours'. That leaves either bricks extending the current step or 900x600x23 limestone slabs that I have left over on top of the bricks , raising the level of the steps to 75mm and 40mm respectively below the DPC

Attachments

• PorchImage_2.JPG
    PorchImage_2.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
Your step will be sloped away from your house. If the area floods i would put a drain in front of th steps, a long Arco style one and get a larger door canopy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back