Best way of repainting this slightly mouldy ceiling (pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got a slight mould/mildew problem on our bathroom ceiling. We're about to fix the root cause of this by improving the bathroom extractor and also the loft insulation above, but just before we do those bits we want to give the ceiling a lick of paint.

As you can see (or perhaps not see) below, the mildew isn't too bad at all really, it's only a slight discolouration. There's no flaking paint or anything like that.

My rough plan was...

a) Treat/kill the mildew and then allow the ceiling to thoroughly dry out.
b) Take the downlighters and old ceiling extractor grille off.
c) Apply a single coat of this Zinsser anti-mould paint.
d) Our electrician is then going to pop in and install the new extractor and some better downlighters.

Does that look like the right sort of approach (in terms of the order of doing things, the type of paint, etc.)?

And what would be the best way of us painting such a small ceiling (it's only about 2 metres squared)? I was thinking masking tape around the top of the tiled wall and then just use a roller?

Any tips gratefully received, we're a bit clueless but want to avoid making a pig's ear of it! :)

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Anyone? :oops:

Some tips on brush vs. roller and how to keep the paint off the tiles would be really handy. :)

Did my bathroom recently which is similar size. I painted the ceiling with a brush as I find you can be more precise as opposed to using a roller. At the edges I stopped short of the tiles by a few mm's and then when dry stuck 1" quadrant plastic trim round the perimeter.It gave a nice finish and at the same time hid the joint where the tiles meet the ceiling. Sort of like a mini-coving. :)

Cheers Honda, maybe I'll go the brush route then. As you say, it gives a bit more control. I think I'll use masking tape too though or else I'm bound to get at least some on the tiles. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
if you get emulsion paint on the tiles it will wipe off when wet or scrape off when dry

Try not to get paint into the grout though, especially if the paint and the grout are different colours.

Hi All

Most household complains is mildew in the ceiling, molds in the walls etc.this is common especially during wet seasons and of course fixing is a little bit out of the way their are remedies to eradicate such.

Strewth cobber - is that supposed to be English :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back