Best way to build walls and window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cornerwindow.jpg
white corner.jpg

Ok, id like to convert the window and wall from the first image to something like the second image. Do i use plaster board and have it plastered or Plywood. I need very neat and accurate joins and corners as it is for a photo studio. Also whats the best way of tidying the window frames some of which are rotting and fallen to bits, im thinking something more cosmetic than structural, something that could maybe be stuck on top of the original frame.

Sponsored Links
Dot and dab plasterboard, tape joints and skim coat. Or screw on timber studwork and screw plasterboard to them. You will end up with nice flat walls with crisp sharp corners

If the brickwork is a solid wall with no cavity the interior face may be damp and cold, in which case you need insulation and or some form of dpm or tanking.

Build up the curved window ledge (and all the curved edges) so that it's flat, then dot and dab insulated plasterboard to the walls. Then put a wooden window board on to for a ledge.

What are you doing about the windows; I'd be inclined to rip them out an put in Upvc windows to make the place warmer.

Dry line the entire space a install secondary glazing internally to hide the windows completely.

Sponsored Links
Build up the curved window ledge (and all the curved edges) so that it's flat, then dot and dab insulated plasterboard to the walls. Then put a wooden window board on to for a ledge.

What are you doing about the windows; I'd be inclined to rip them out an put in Upvc windows to make the place warmer.
Thanks for the response, how do you 'build up the curved edges ? It is a listed building so i cant go ripping out the window, plus i think the expense of a new similar one would be enormous, i have ideas of either sticking on some sort of wooden paneling over the old frame to make it look new ! The unit has 13 similar frames so i would have to replace them all to make the place warmer, (Maybe when i win the lotto !)

It'll just be sand and cement to square off the rounded corners, but on reflection, you'd need to scrape some of the paint off to get a good key, so an angled piece of wood may work better. Go with foxholes suggestion of secondary glazing if it's a listed building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back