Best way to clean up pistons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope you don't mind but I'm asking about a motorcycle, not a car.

The brake pad pins on my Suzuki SV650S were seized in so I was unable to replace the pads. i've ended up taken the callipers off and this has enabled me to get the pins free. While they're off I've decided to replace the seals and give the pistons a clean up.

Two things, anyone know where you can buy red rubber grease to coat the pistons and slider pins. Secondly, the Haynes reckons that the pistons must be replaced if any surface defects are present but the pistons were not leaking so I want advice on how best to clean them up.

Here is a photo

So far I've been using a non-scratch nylon scour pad but this is the best I've gotten. I think it is unrealistic for the piston to be totally free of surface defects so I'm not keen on replacing them.

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried washing them with petrol or thinners,
the grease you need is cooper slip, you'd probably get a tube from a motor bike shop or halfolds.

The brake pistons rely on a perfectly smooth surface to retain the brake fluid - I've used either a soft wire mop on a bench grinder or some wet and dry paper to clean these up in the past. If the pitting is not too deep you should be ok. Use brake fluid to lubricate the pistons when you push them back in, and coppaslip grease is fine for the slider pins.

Sponsored Links
Back