best way to connect swa to T &E within adaptable box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm using an adaptable box to connect the swa to T & E. They're both 6mm. What the best way doing this since the box doesn't come with connectors. I was aware of this and thought I I'll just use one of those cheapo connector strips rated for 32A of course. The cable is protected by 32A type B BS60898 breaker so that should be ok AFAIK.

Sponsored Links
30A strip connector will be fine. Don't forget the joint must remain accessible.

Ok it's my fault for following blindly to what am told. But there isn't much space within the consumer unit cupboard which is recessed into the cavity of the exterior wall. So the cu sits on the exterior wall. So it's difficult to get the swa out to the garage. Therefore the adaptable box is mounted underneath the floor boards currently which is accessable via a hatch but will be carpeted/ laminate flooring over. Is there any mf certified alternative?

Only way you can satisfy the regulations right now without a hatch is to use a maintenance free connection solution inside the adaptable box, like crimping and heatshrink or wagos.

Otherwise it should be accessible, which is ok if you can pull up floorboards but not ok if laminate or hardwood flooring is installed over the top.

Sponsored Links
...a maintenance free connection solution inside the adaptable box, like crimping and heatshrink or wagos.
We went through this a few days ago. Which Wagos do you think are specified/marked as 'maintenance free'? (I can't find evidence that any of them are).

Kind Regards, John

...a maintenance free connection solution inside the adaptable box, like crimping and heatshrink or wagos.
We went through this a few days ago. Which Wagos do you think are specified/marked as 'maintenance free'? (I can't find evidence that any of them are).

Kind Regards, John

I know, this is a duplicate thread and should be merged with the previous thread as there was a lengthy discussion on termination.

If I can remember the connectors themselves although maintenance free arent maintenance free certified because of the lack of cable support.

but inside a WagoBox I think I read somewhere they are maintenance free.

A Wago box should fit inside an adaptable box if big enough.

If not crimp and heatshrink is only solution?

Wagobox with wagos inside though is compliant.

https://www.wagobox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf

Does the Wagobox have the MF mark?
Yes. From October 2012 you will be able to purchase the Wagobox with the BS5733 MF mark. The new
Wagobox will be supplied with an extended set of installation instructions that will explain how the Wagobox and
the Wago 773 and 222 terminals can be used together to construct a BS5733 Maintenance Free accessory.

and a wagobox should fit inside an adaptable box, just start off with a bigger adaptable box.

but if concerned about it being legal theres always crimp and heatshrink, which is cheaper and tidier probably lol.. but does depend on a good crimp.

Can I use a Wagobox to extend a ring main in an inaccessible location?
Yes, In a maintenance free situation the maximum Iag limitation will require two separate Wagoboxes to be used
as the maximum potential Iag is 64A when using a single Wagobox and this exceeds the BS5733-MF limitation on
the box.
When using two Wagobox enclosures either the 773 or 222 terminals can be used as the maximum Iag in each
Wagobox will not exceed 40A.
So can I use the Wago 773 and 222 terminals in any enclosure and be BS5733 Maintenance Free?
No. The requirements of BS5733 for a maintenance free accessory extend to the terminals, the enclosure and
most importantly the performance of the enclosure with the terminals. There are some important design features
of that Wagobox that make it's assembly deterministic and easily repeatable:
1. The cable clamps are integral
2. The distance from the terminal to the cable clamp is fixed
3. The orientation of the terminals is fixed
4. The separation of the insulation of the conductors from the body of the terminals is assured (The
insulation around the cables cannot come into contact with or become wrapped around the terminals).
5. The terminals are held in position so that they cannot be disconnected within the enclosure
6. Lateral movement of the terminals is severely restricted
These Wagobox features make possible the level of conformity required for a BS5733 maintenance free
accessory.

I know, this is a duplicate thread and should be merged with the previous thread as there was a lengthy discussion on termination. If I can remember the connectors themselves although maintenance free arent maintenance free certified because of the lack of cable support. but inside a WagoBox I think I read somewhere they are maintenance free. A Wago box should fit inside an adaptable box if big enough.
That all makes good electrical sense. However the regs only allow them to be inaccessible if they bear the 'MF' marking - and neither the Wago connectors nor the Wagobox do. In fact, I know nothing other that the Ashley J803/J804 which so far bear that marking - and, even if it would fit in the adaptable box, a J803 will only take up to 4mm².
If not crimp and heatshrink is only solution?
Yep, it seems so - unless the OP can find a way of making the box accessible. Quite apart from the regs, I personally wouldn't want an SWA termination inaccessible. I wonder if there is a reason (other than aesthetic) why he couldn't mount it on the outside of the wall, and bring all but the armour of the SWA through the wall?

Kind Regards, John

[Wagobox with wagos inside though is compliant.https://www.wagobox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf
Yes. From October 2012 you will be able to purchase the Wagobox with the BS5733 MF mark. The new
Wagobox will be supplied with an extended set of installation instructions that will explain how the Wagobox and
the Wago 773 and 222 terminals can be used together to construct a BS5733 Maintenance Free accessory.
You slipped that it after I typed my reply, but before I pressed the Submit button :)

Interesting - but, as I said, electrically sensible. It will presumably take some time for these 'MF' Wagoboxes to work their way through to us. I bought some from TLC last week, and they have no 'MF' mark.

Kind Regards, John

[Wagobox with wagos inside though is compliant.https://www.wagobox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf
You slipped that it after I replied :)

Interesting - but, as I said, electrically sensible. It will presumably take some time for these 'MF' Wagoboxes to work their way through to us. I bought some from TLC last week, and they have no 'MF' mark.

Kind Regards, John

sorry lol, I was reading through the document and came accross it so I updated my reply.

true, but if they do have the MF logo now they are compliant when used inside a wagobox.

but if cant source one, then crimp and heatshrink looks like the way to go.

true, but if they do have the MF logo now they are compliant when used inside a wagobox.
Indeed - except that, as I read the document, only the Wagobox will bear the symbol (the connectors can't really - since they are not 'MF' if not used in a Wagobox).

Kind Regards, John

If it is only a few feet from end of SWA to CU you could use the cores of the SWA instead of the twin and earth so there would be no connections in the adaptable box ( other than the banjo for the armour )

No banjo here as the prime earth for the SWA was at the other end.

And there should have been a grommet in the hole where the cores leave the box.

Ok it's my fault for following blindly to what am told. But there isn't much space within the consumer unit cupboard which is recessed into the cavity of the exterior wall. So the cu sits on the exterior wall. So it's difficult to get the swa out to the garage. Therefore the adaptable box is mounted underneath the floor boards currently which is accessable via a hatch but will be carpeted/ laminate flooring over. Is there any mf certified alternative?

Well that was pretty daft wasn't it?

Why couldn't the swa have been taken out the floor and the adaptable bone mounted in the vertical area between cu and floor (where I'd guess you have cabling going out to grd floor circuits for kitchen and general ring).

Why not fit some trunking (50 x 50) and bring the swa out the floor?

If it is only a few feet from end of SWA to CU you could use the cores of the SWA instead of the twin and earth so there would be no connections in the adaptable box ( other than the banjo for the armour ) ... No banjo here as the prime earth for the SWA was at the other end.
The OP probably would need a banjo (or whatever), since this is the house end of the SWA - hence a 'connection' in the box. Although it's 'only' an earth connection, I think that would still require accesibility.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back