Feed T&E into back of Adaptable Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to use an adaptable box on the outside of my house to join 6mm T&E (from box to CU, run inside the house) to 6mm SWA (to run from box to workshop... once I've built a workshop).

To keep it neat, and because AFAIK T&E isn't rated for outdoor use, I'd like the T&E to run through the wall and into the rear of the AB. Is there an accepted best-practice for doing this? Compression gland, conduit or something else?

Also, I was planning to use a Piranha nut so I can go with a plastic AB... purely for aesthetics. Any reasons not to use a plastic adaptable box? Box will be around 8-9 feet above the ground so unlikely to be kicked.

Sponsored Links
It has been done that way many times, strictly speaking anything used when in the control of an ordinary person should be type tested, but also technically if your doing the job then your not an ordinary person.

The rub is the local authority building control, I have worked with three, Liverpool no problem, Cheshire a little more to the rule book, Flintshire every i dotted and every t crossed, so there is no straight answer, if doing it DIY it is all down to the LABC inspector, however if I was doing an EICR I would not pick up on anything you suggest as needing a code, and is likely how I would do it, remember nothing is 100% water tight, specially if air inside, so small hole at bottom will ensure if any does get in, it can also get out again, and remember the U drip point on cable if required.

If the garage does not need planning permission then unlikely anyone will pick up on what ever you do, but if the LABC inspector is going to be about, then do make sure you tick the box to say your doing the electrics, Flintshire wanted to see my qualifications, non of the others did.

The LABC bit isn't an issue - all the work is listed on a Building Notice so I just need to pass a Periodic Inspection, supply the PIR to the BCO and it's good. I did check that with them before starting all the works as I didn't want to get it all done then find I should have done something else at first fix. ETA this is all under 17th Edition as that was the current issue when I started work... it's taken a while!

Thanks Eric, I'll go with a glanded entry.

Last edited:
The LABC bit isn't an issue - all the work is listed on a Building Notice so I just need to pass a Periodic Inspection, supply the PIR to the BCO and it's good. I did check that with them before starting all the works as I didn't want to get it all done then find I should have done something else at first fix.

Thanks Eric, I'll go with a glanded entry.
This is what Flintshire wanted me to do, get a PIR as it was called then, now called an EICR, but the EICR does not have a code 4 any more, so it is down to the inspector what he codes and what code he gives things, code C3 is improvement recommended, and it does not say if it passes or fails the requirements of BS 7671, and there are some things like German sockets which do not comply with BS 7671 but the LABC has to allow. Well at least until we fully leave the EU.

To my mind when I write out my intentions and submit them to the LABC if they give me the go ahead then they can't return latter and say sorry we don't like that, we have changed our minds, we want you to change it. And this is what can happen when the guy doing the inspection does not have any input until all is complete.

The person in control of the work is the only person who can complete the electrical installation certificate, i.e. you fill it in, and you say that you have the knowledge and ability when completing it, this can be given to a third party to verify, but if you want a third party to issue the installation certificate they must be in control from the start.

I think it is unreasonable for the LABC inspector to give the go ahead and then ask some one else to check on your work. Who of course could be rather pedantic.

Sponsored Links
No reason not to do as you propose. Nothing fancy is required on the cable entry if you goes straight into the wall, just seal around the hole, some would use silicone sealant, I'd go for the dark brown jointing compound. Get a reasonable size box that you arn't struggling with the space, leave some spare on it, gland the armoured into the lower surface, enter both conductors from the same side of the connector block and tighten both screws onto them, dress a set into the SWA before you cleat it back so it doesn't stress the box.

I think it is unreasonable for the LABC inspector to give the go ahead and then ask some one else to check on your work. Who of course could be rather pedantic.
This will be the second time I've dealt with Central Beds for electrical sign-off on building notices. The first time was when Part P was the buzzword and no-one was quite sure what the implications were (who is competent and who is "competent"?) so mine was one of the ones who put their hands up and said "hang on... none of us are electricians, we can't conceivably say what is and isn't right" so the first time they subbed it out to a local electrician at their cost. Now their process is that you do the building notice application, do the work, get an inspection at your own cost (not at first fix, importantly if you are trying to live in the house!), and if you pass that they'll issue the BN completion.

As you say there is a risk as it's possible I might inadvertently get someone who works to their own regs (i.e. BS7671 plus "their way" of doing things... you get people like that in all manner of jobs).

Interesting to see how it works with different LABCs.

This will be the second time I've dealt with Central Beds for electrical sign-off on building notices. The first time was when Part P was the buzzword and no-one was quite sure what the implications were (who is competent and who is "competent"?) so mine was one of the ones who put their hands up and said "hang on... none of us are electricians, we can't conceivably say what is and isn't right" so the first time they subbed it out to a local electrician at their cost. Now their process is that you do the building notice application, do the work, get an inspection at your own cost (not at first fix, importantly if you are trying to live in the house!), and if you pass that they'll issue the BN completion.

As you say there is a risk as it's possible I might inadvertently get someone who works to their own regs (i.e. BS7671 plus "their way" of doing things... you get people like that in all manner of jobs).

Interesting to see how it works with different LABCs.
Technically if you are able to do the electrical work, you are an electrician. There has been a move this year to say to inspect and test you need a level 3 qualification like the C&G 2391, but when my dad did his apprenticeship many did not go to collage, when it came to my turn most went to collage, but there is nothing to say you need to pass any exam to be an electrician.

OK my dad, my self, and my son have all passed exams, but many of my exams are not on a national register, and if I wanted I could produce a certificate which no one could prove if genuine or not, as the collage is no more, and it was an internal exam.

I was the last year to take a FCE or Flintshire Certificate of Education, next the the CSE came out, and with Flintshire I tried to get a copy of a 2005 completion certificate and failed, I thought the whole idea was there was a record which could not be altered by anyone, so a prospective buyer could see if the work had be inspected, but no, their records could not be accessed for 4 months and then I would need to pay however long it took for them to find them. I found the originals.

The LABC is in many ways no more than a tax, we read about the floods in Ruthin and how the LABC inspector allowed the houses to be built 4 foot too low, the design was so if a culvert blocked water would flow over the road before it flooded and house, they tried to blame the builder, who had clearly made an error, however that is what we pay the LABC for, it is their job to pick up on errors. And if they allow such a big one through are you really going to trust them with a small electrical job?

When I did my dads wet room for which I got that completion certificate I saw the inspector when I took over the job, never saw him again. They accepted my installation certificate and issued a completion certificate through the post. The building inspector admitted he had not a clue about electrics, all² he could do was assess if it seemed I knew what I was doing.

If an inspector says I want that run in SWA not Ali-tube before you start as not RCD protected that is OK. But once installed it is too late, which I why the inspector should be there from the start, yes I have taken a chance and I have got it wrong, lucky I had voiced my thoughts before it was done, and when the 32 amp supply was changed from 4 mm² to 10 mm² due to volt drop I could have said I told you so. But in the main as electricians we have a good idea what will work without calculating and test on completion, but for DIY they don't have that knowledge so it is easy to make mistakes.

I realise I'm preaching to the choir but it is somewhat farcical - when Part P came in to the Building Regs it was intended to stop people bodging electrics whether in their own house or in their role as e.g. a kitchen fitter. But, the bodgers keep bodging regardless, and it just means those who would have striven to do the job properly regardless are getting tied up in red tape. I remember how "competent person" wasn't originally defined... At the start one of my colleagues sent a copy of his MEng EEE certificate to his LABC as proof of his competence and they accepted it! Pre-emptively I tried a similar strategy by detailing my professional experience in the design and certification of aeronautical electrical systems, but got a polite response of "we can see that you are competent, but for the purposes of the rules you are not "competent" so would need someone certified by one of the following recognised bodies to test and approve the installation".

Also around the same time, a mate who chopped his wiring around with gay abandon got around the whole thing when he sold his house by buying an indemnity for a ridiculously low price... I want to say £10 or £50, but either way it was significantly cheaper than a building notice or an inspection... That grated on me! :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back