Best way to connect trap to floorstanding bath

Sponsored Links
I understood that which is why I gave you a link to the correct one, twice. https://www.toolstation.com/mcalpine-bsp-coupling-3-long/p19305 fits between the bath and trap to "lower" the trap.

Fit this https://www.toolstation.com/mcalpine-bsp-coupling-3-long/p19305 then the trap you have, then the flexcon to the waste pipework. Is that not doable?

Sorry, don't know how I missed that link. It is the same product I identified in my first post as a possible solution to lower the trap.

Unfortunately, the longest they do is 3" and while this does help a little, it leaves the trap half within the bath void and half within the floor void, so I still need to cut a big hole in the floor to accommodate both the trap and the flexible pipe running from the trap outlet. It does mean the flexible pipe from the outlet doesn't have quite as tight a bend, but I feel it isn't really giving a full solution. If they made one of these in 7" that would allow the trap to sit below the flooring, which is why the flexcon6 seems to fit the bill, apart from the fact it doesn't have BSP connections!

Yes, exactly that.

Most remote traps would be secured by being part of the rigid pipe run and that would in turn be clipped properly therefore little danger of the pipe sagging or a trap moving. You plan to use flexible connectors etc therefore there is potential for the trap to move, not something you want. As far as securing any trap you would be using then you can use a few different methods, pipe clips/galvy banding, etc.

A waterless trap may be consideration for you as it can be fitted 'in line' but again you would want it/the pipe either side securely clipped

I don't really want to use a membrane type trap due to the potential requirement for maintenance. I'm using one for my built in basin, due to limited space, but it would be very easy to replace if required.

I'm still tempted to try to fashion my own BSP flexible extension using the flexcon6 and the two BSP adaptors I mentioned. If I could fully secure the trap within the floor space on a platform, possibly using a number of cable ties, I feel this might solve all my issues. The only movement should then be in the flexcon6 extending through the floor and then being compressed when the blocks raising the bath are removed when fitting the bath after tiling!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. I see you eventually used a piece of flexible waste pipe connected to a P trap. As well as requiring the flexibility of the waste pipe to allow me to raise the bath to fit the trap, then lower it into place, I also have the complication that the waste fitting on the bath is high up and so the trap I have purchased needs to be lowered by installing something between the bath waste and the trap. You don't appear to have had this issue although it's difficult to see exactly what the other end of the flexible pipe is connected to as it appears to bend downwards. I would have expected your waste pipe to run horizontally between or through the joists to the outside wall, so not sure how the end of the flexible pipe is connected to your waste pipe, possibly using an elbow?

I connected onto a piece of waste coming out of a 45deg bend which then goes out through the wall. I put a 50mm trap extension on there as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back