Best way to cover poor walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have stripped the lounge walls of very heavy blown vinyl paper and I'm looking at the best way to cover the many imperfections that a 60's house has. The blown vinyl covered every fault perfectly, but I'm not a fan of it as the surface can easily be damaged.

I know my options are to re-skim or cross line, but I would rather not go down this route. I like wallpapering because the job is finished so quickly and many coats of paint and cutting in are not required. Cross lining is a labour intensive process and I've noticed comments on this forum about it being a short term bodge and is not as easy to do as it might seem.

So my question is what other ideas has anybody and what type of wallcoverings could anyone recommend to cover well. I like heavy vinyls as they are so strong and durable, but not easily available in the usual DIY stores. Or would a heavy weight embossed anaglypta cover well, although this would need painting.

Thanks
UB

Sponsored Links
You used to be able to buy an embossed coloured pattern paper, and normally people would paint them a few years down the line when they got dirty.

Personally, embossed is very dated, skimmed or lining is the way to go IMO :)

You used to be able to buy an embossed coloured pattern paper, and normally people would paint them a few years down the line when they got dirty.

I know what you mean Spice, it is a bit dated and not easy to paint. I've never tried cross lining, how difficult is it? People say that it bubbles up and stretches, would this happen with a 1400 weight paper do you think?

I know what you mean Spice, it is a bit dated and not easy to paint. I've never tried cross lining, how difficult is it? People say that it bubbles up and stretches, would this happen with a 1400 weight paper do you think?

Thats because they dont know what they are doing of...it would happen with any lining paper if its not hung properly.

Crossling is easier then vertical lining just make sure you mark the walls out before you start one long line about 500mm from the ceiling line along the length of the wall and hang the paper to that..then work downwards.

As its your first attempt id go for a 1000 grade paper..leave it to soak once its pasted for about ten minutes before you hang it..and fold it in a concertina fashion, the same way they do ceilings.

Sponsored Links
If I were to paint the walls Zampa, should I line horizontaly and then vertically as well, to cover properly, or will just horizontal cross lining cover o/k.
Why is 1000 easier then 1400, would it not stretch easier?

See what it looks like after the cross lining..if it need vertical lining after do that too.

1400 grade might be a bit stiff if your not used to lining...plus it might have a slight bumpy finish ..id rather line twice myself than use one thick paper.

'Stretching' wont really come into it..all papers expand slightly when wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back