Best way to fill in hole around living room hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there offer me the best advice to fill in a hole around an old fireplace hearth. Old tiles chipped off, whats left is a mess. Can I simply level this up and fill in the gaps with a ready mix cement (already purchased).

The major question is, can I just do this with cement or must it always be accompanied with a sand mix?

Can any harm be caused just by using cement?

Photo
View media item 19775

Sponsored Links
what are doing with it when level?
You do need sand and cement mix, but it can also be done using self leveling compound or you might ba able to lift the slab and install floorboards

It'll just be having underlay and then carpet fitted over the top, so really just need to get it level to existing floorboards.

Any other further guidance would be much appreciated.

is that a white wooden cross on the floor and the remains of a ritual in the fireplace :eek: .. Your ready mix should have sand in it ;) It should do what you want there

Sponsored Links
No nothing that exciting I'm afraid ;)

What quantities of sand are we talking is it 4-part sand to 1-part cement?

Is there any harm with just using cement on its own, I ask as I'm more inclined to do that as I already have it in.

no you cannot use cement on its own, you will need sand to bind the cement otherwise it will crumble.

Thanks for all the replies folks, most helpful, as a rule of thumb, is it a 4:1 ratio for sand:cement or does it not matter? i.e will 2:1 do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back