hearth removal, levelling constructional hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just removed a 1940s tiled fireplace and hearth, I am left with a 3/4inch gap between the floorboards and the constructional hearth underneath, I obviously want to bring this up to the same level. What type of cement should I use, I have tried a bag of 5kg of cement mix but as you can see this obviously has not gone a long way. I have thorugh of self levelling compund but this can only be used for a few millimetre gap I am right? what is the best way to do this? I have pictures

Sponsored Links
You appear to have sheet vinyl and carpet floor covering - do you know what your final FFL will be?

What is going into the hearth area, eg. a new hearth?
Or do you intend a new floor covering to flow across the made-up hearth?

Sponsored Links
If i understand you correctly, then you've gone about this the wrong way. To bring any boarding-over up to the level of the surrounding T&G floor, you might have to take some material out of the hearth area.

Determine exactly what you intend to go in the hearth recess, and work from the thickness of that material.

Stay away from any concreting.

A radiator positioned in front of a chimney breast would look weird.

Have the flue swept before anything else is done.

yeah your right about staying away from the radaitor idea, I am only going to board over the opening of the fire and not bothered about the flooring so the concrete idea i better for me as it wont be seen and I might decide to go back to a fire later on.

I understand you better now.
In that case then use a wash of PVA and water on the hearth and when tacky go over it with a mix of sand and cement . Then level it off with the existing boards.
You could alternatively use a wash of soupy 1 of sand and 1 of cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back