Best way to fix skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently been renovating a house and have found lots of useful hints on this forum however despite searching have been unable to find a definitive answer to this question.

We have recently had the walls reskimmed and laid laminate flooring. The skirting was removed with the intention that when replaced it could sit on top of the laminate and remove the need for beading.

Will be fixing to plasterboard on top of concrete walls in a 1970's terrace. The walls are relatively straight, as is the floor although it would appear from first impressions that there will be a few gaps that need to be filled.

Is the best way to fix simply to use masonry nails straight in to the concrete or would you advise using an adhesive and nails together.

The only other option I could think of would be screwing the boards in to the wall instead but would the result be worth the extra effort.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I would screw them in. I recently had mine done and I used a power screw driver. It really doesn't take that long.

chris - straight walls use solvent Gripfill - apply in dabs (1/2 golfball size) to the back of the skirting, push the skirting into position, pull it away, then push it back on. No need to mechanically fix unless the skirting bends away from the wall; a couple of your nails to hold a bendy s/b until the Grip dries. You have a choice to drive the nails all the way in, set them below the surface with a punch then fill & paint, or leave them proud (remember the nails are only there to hold the s/b whilst the Grip dries) and then pull the nails out. When removing the nails place a scrap of wood under the claw-hammer or pincers to prevent bruising to the s/b.

Any gaps along the top of the skirting/wall fill with decorators caulk.

Big gaps between floor & s/b can be minimised by pressing the s/b down during installation (temp fix with your nail); use a length of timber resting on the top of the s/b and touching the floor to press the s/b down (use your knee to apply pressure).

Finally, if you're going to paint the s/b consider using pre-primed mdf.

Sponsored Links
If you decide you want to screw the in, then alternate the hight of the screws along the skirting. Each alternate screw being 1/3 from the top and the 1/3 form the bottom.

The reason for this is if you have any unevenness on the wall, for what ever reason, the skirting will level out.

Putting all the screws the same hight might pull the skirting out of virtual level and you will have problems when joining inside and outside corners.

My opinion is to use grip fill, That way you have the ability to place the skirting perfectly.

The only problem with this is if the wall you are sticking the skirting to is mouldy or receives damp, or any other reason that will prevent it to stick.

If you are joining two pieces of skirting to make a wall length, much better to scarf the joints rather than have a but join.

Hope this help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back