Skirting onto uneven flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I laid laminate flooring in my kitchen and when I have gone to lay skirting over the top it appears the floor is on a slight slope. I have fixed the Skirting from the arcitrave on the door and going along to the opposite wall... When I have gone to lay the second piece of skirting if I want it flat on the floor where the skirting meets then it slightly raises at the other end (I am guessing where the floor) dips.

Is there anything I can do? I don't/can't remove the skirting as it is fixed under the current skirting I have put in, it is also under the kitchen unit legs, back panel and side panel!

Would I be able to fill the gap at the bottom of the skirting, sand and paint over? Or can I bend it slightly and nail it to the wall? (Will this just ping off over a period of time)...

I look forward in anticipation to your response.

Sponsored Links
you scribe to the floor assuming the board is level and not banana shaped

apologies for my ignorance but I am a complete novice at DIY..

Please explain a littler further 'Scribe to the floor'....?

Is this a case of sanding it down at the higher end?

Scribing to the floor means cutting the bottom edge of the skirting so it is the same shape as the floor below so that it fits for the whole length.
To do it place the skirting onto the floor and then make it level with a spirit level. It may only touch the floor at one point or maybe several. Support the skirting on small spacers to keep it level.
Now find where the largest gap between the bottom of the skirting and the floor is. Lay a pencil on top of a small block so that the pencil is just touching the bottom of the skirting. Then run the pencil on its block along the floor whilst drawing a line onto the face of the skirting. This line will follow the shape of the floor. Then cut along this line with a jigsaw and you will find that the skirting fits to the floor perfectly (although it might not be perfectly in line with the next length but I'm sure you can work out what to do there).
Difficult to explain in writing.

Sponsored Links
google "scribe to fit" or u tube "scribe to fit"

i personally would go for what looks right rather than a level in case the whole floor has a slope ;)

The easiest option for a novice, although it defeats the object of having the skirting on top of the flooring is to run a bead of scotia around the length of the flooring/skirting. This will cover any gaps and will look fine in the right shade/colour.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back