scribing skirting for uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've offered up my skirting today and the floor is uneven in 2 main places.

First, it is high in one of the corners of the room, causing approx a 5 to 10mm gap in the middle of the length of skirting going out from the corner.

Second, it is low on the opposite wall to this, and the low point is in the middle of the wall to the tune of about 5mm.

I suppose this wouldnt matter if it was being carpetted but as ive put laminate floor down and the skirting is being fitted on top of this so the gap is noticable.

Ive looked at scribing the length of the skirting but wondered if there are other options and if I have to scribe, where do i start, the low point or the high point?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Scribing is probably the best solution.
Put the skirting in place and then stand back, does it look right ignoring any gaps on the bottom? If not pack it up so that it does look right, sort of leveling it without a level, old adage if it looks right it IS.
Now what is you biggest gap?
Cut a small piece of timber to this gap or just slightly less. Then holding in on the floor run it down the lenght of your skirting holding a pencil on top and marking the skirting as you move. Cut along this line with the tool of your choice , jigsaw or my favourite an axe and put the skirting should fit ni on perfect with maybe a little fiddling here or there or hopefully none at all.
Finally fix the skirting and put the kettle on.

Sponsored Links
10mm is not that much over a long run

place 1mm card every 0.5-1m or so between floor and skirting
a 2m plank about 4+ inches wide
cut skiting to fit
if screwing or nailing one fixing each end
place plank on the top knee/heavy books on top
if no nails make shure theres books/somthing heavy along the face off the boards where nessisery

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back