Scribing the length of skirting for uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have laminate flooring with the skirting installed on top.
We are getting a luxury vinyl fitted so the laminate and skirting is coming up.

My problem is re attaching the skirting. On one side of the room there is a about a 10/12mm gap between laminate and bottom of skirting. This is in the middle of the length of skirting so either the length has bowed or the floor is uneven.

I could get away with it if the gap was smaller as we are having a screed and really want the skirting on before then so im looking at scribing that length.

It is one length to an internal corner that then runs to a fireplace.
If i scribe the length, am i right in thinking i need to do the other piece from corner to fireplace to keep both pieced at the same height??

What about the rest of the skirting. ie Other side of fireplace. Would you guys do the whole room like this or would the rest not be very noticable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If i scribe the length, am i right in thinking i need to do the other piece from corner to fireplace to keep both pieced at the same height??

What about the rest of the skirting. ie Other side of fireplace. Would you guys do the whole room like this or would the rest not be very noticable.
Yes. If there's a big difference you may well need to do all of them - that's whay we have site rip saws..... On the other hand it might be possible - if the skirting is painted or in an unobtrusive place (e.g. behind furniture) - to take off the errant piece, plane the bottom edge smooth and then glue a strip of timber onto the bottom which would then allow you to scribe in without needing to change the other skirtings. Alternatively if the skirting is a standard moulding such as a Victorian torus you might be able to find a supplier who does, say, a 7in torus with the same profile as the 5in version (assuming that you had the 5in version installed, that is) - which would give you a much bigger scribing allowance

Before doing any of this, though, I'd consider asking the floorer if he could build the floor to cover the discrepancy, especially if its the floor and not the skirting which is out of level

If fitting the vinyl to a timber floor the best option is to leave what is down already and then ply on top (6mm will do) or take up what's already there for no reason and be left with a bigger gap to have to fill. Maybe I am misreading the question but I would personally leave everything down already and ply on top to get everything level for the vinyl.

Again I can't see why you are taking up the existing laminate and messing with the skirting

Sponsored Links
It's a concrete floor and laminate needs to come up to lay a screed to level the floor.
I think I will not need to do anything. The skirting will be lowered onto existing concrete. This may still give a 10 mm gap in one place but then a new screed and the new floor will go in reducing the gap on show.

Before the screed and floor goes in a will fill this gap if needed. Couch will be going in from of it also so shouldn't be very noticeable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back