Laying skirtings on top of undulating wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've fitted plenty of skirting before in my house but only where the carpet will but up to it. How do I lay skirting on top of a wooden floor but get it to sit down on top of the floor without having a big gap in some places and no gap in others? Am I right in guessing you're supposed to cut the bottom of the boards - scribe them down and get the tops level around the room? So I guess I have to find the lowest part of the floor?

Any tips gratefully received

JD

Sponsored Links
longer dips off say 5 to 10mm over 2m can be pushed down you get a plank off wood rest on top and the floor and weight down or as you say scribe to the lowest point

JD - another trick in addition to big-all's 'push-down lever' method is to introduce a number of sawcuts through the skirting and going about ¾ the way up (or down) the board. When the top of the s/board is pressed down with the above lever method the sawcut open slightly to allow a bit more of a bend. Only to be used when the skirts are to be painted (the cuts have to be filled) and where the floor gap is just a little too big to cover with just the lever method. Obviously, cut from bottom up for dips in the floor and top down for humps in the floor.

If the humps/dips in the floor are too big then you'll have to scribe the skirts as doing the above will produce an unacceptable wave to the top edge of the skirt

Sponsored Links
Hmm, many thanks for the replies guys. So, I suppose I need to cut all the skirting to the right lengths first, to go round the room so I can see how bad it's going to be and then decide what I'm going to do.

Not looking forward to cutting this strips off with a jigsaw, it's never going to look that great. Any tips for that part of it if I end up scribing them down?

Many thanks

JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back