Best way to get a foolproof vertical line to start wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My vertical line never seems to be absolutely straight, as found out after 3 drops..is there a easy foolproof way of doing this..Many thnx.

Sponsored Links
A long spirit level or if on a budget, something like a spanner or whatever tied to string as a plum bob will be spot on (gravity ensures that)

Sponsored Links
I always use a four foot spirit level, never let me down yet. ;)

Never understood this Rob.

How do you know where to put the level on the nearest mark to the wall if the wall's 9' high. :confused:

I know where your coming from. I will run the level from under the ceiling first then scribe a line and then slide the level down to the skirt and strike a second line. I've used this method for many years and it works fro me. I have used plumb lines and still do on staircases and such.

Hypo example Rob:

Let's say you have a paper to hang that's 53cm wide and it's your first length on the left next to an internal corner and you want to hang it tight because of the pattern but the wall looks "out".

Ordinarily I'd probably make 3 small marks..top, middle and bottom (unless it's obvious). I'd then hang the plumb bob down and move it to the nearest mark to the internal corner, then use that as my line.

I've never understood how you'd determine which is the nearest line with the level if you start at the top, but the bottoms out, would you already draw a line. :confused:

Sometimes i will use 3 small marks as you do, i know what you mean but i use a level to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back