Best way to get a 'good' handyman?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

A friend of mine has a disability which is increasing as he gets older. He lives by himself and now finding it increasingly difficult to do general DIY around that house.

Could someone suggest how to go about finding a good reliable handyman to carry out the odd DIY jobs around the house, every now and again?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
Ask around his neighbours would be my first port of call. You'll either find someone handy or get a recommendation. :idea:

Some councils have a handyman type service for elderly/venerable type residents

Sponsored Links
neighbours, make sure they are trustworthy, it really annoys me people try and take advantage.

Help The Aged might have an approved list. It doesn't mean they are any good. Trading Standards do too, but I got cowboys from them, and they are still on the list despite having to pay substantial compensation.

Yes, trustworthy neighbours i.e. ones who are reliable and have decent standards when it comes to finish.

Avoid help the aged, they operate like a business these days. I truly believe they do not have the persons interest at heart. I have had two people I know contact them for help, both occasions they wanted financial commitments and actually tried to sell something to one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back