Setting up as a handyman?

thats why we have to go on courses.
they not going to tell anyone how to diy gas.

they'll be out their installing some old ladys cooker next.

Sponsored Links
this is straight out the book.
or are you going to say you need to see the cover of the book to prove it.

u.jpg

this is straight out the book.
or are you going to say you need to see the cover of the book to prove it.

So you were right, well done you. Would it have hurt to be a little more friendly/positive with you knowledge/answers/postings?

Amended: But do remember that fitting the check valve inside is only a recommendation not a legal requirement.

Sponsored Links

I was not suggesting gas work which is required to be done only by registered competent persons (COrgi etc).

Fitting an outside tap though is something even a DIYr would do, enabling them to know the regs for this would make things a lot better for the water board/authorities etc who would regulate it.

I was not suggesting gas work which is required to be done only by registered competent persons (COrgi etc).

Fitting an outside tap though is something even a DIYr would do, enabling them to know the regs for this would make things a lot better for the water board/authorities etc who would regulate it.

i agree to a certain extent but its another trade that should be like gas or elecys.
some diyers can cause a total flood just changing a tap washer.

as for these diy bathroom fitters, their muppets on their own.
8/10 bathroom installs have at least one water reg broken.

you can tell the public the regs till it comes old their a*se and they'll still want to take short cuts, why do you think so many do it their selfs or buy these crappy outside taps for £10 in bq.
then they'll be on here asking how to do it, or why has it such a poor flow.

nothing stopping them going on the course its only 1 day.

Seco, some of your comments are getting extremely "old boys club" like :D

I'm sur ethat even with experienced plumbers there are still plenty of water regs that are broken.

Also that with many DIY'rs there are going to be none, excellent jobs even.

Just because some DIYrs are really bad does not mean that they all are, there are plenty out there that still DIY extremely well and have not setup professionally.

Anyway, perhaps you an clear up some confusion.

What exactly is wrong with the outside tap kits that you are referring to?
And what should an outside tap kit have?

I didn't get the job I went for so it looks like I may have to start plan B on a small scale till I can replace certain tools & get some decent ladders.

Restricting the flow to an outside tap?

Hardly a big enough issue to call em is it?
Besides isn't it a good idea to restrict the flow, make it so that the gardeners down south can't put so much on the garden :D :D

Apart from that, is there any problem with the hosepipe approach ?
It seems to be more amenable to routing around the kitchen cubards, through the walls & to the tap.
Could it have better expansion properties & hence not split in winter?

I believe that the building regs only say that you must be registered to do gas if you are doing it for profit...

so that does not exclude the DIYer from doing gas.. ( although it's not advisable... )

Yes you are correct, anyone can basically do what they like in their own home, although as you say it is inadvisable to do gas or electrical work unless competent.

The grey area is if anything happens, would your insurance pay out and what happens when you sell the property?

You have then done work for the new buyer :confused:

The grey area is if anything happens,

It is reckoned that deaths and accidents will increase during the recession, and you need to heed those words, "grey area" as only a court of law can decide if the work you did was competent.

Don't DIY gas is my advice. Get someone from the Gas Safe Register to do the work, or test and commission it.

Sponsored Links
Back