Any Handyman Start-up opinions please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm giving serious consideration to setting up in business as a Handyman.
I know my capabilities (which cover quite a broad spectrum of tasks), have a good selection of tools and have read what other Handymen are offering in terms of scope and prices. I understand the need for advertising, website, accountant, customer service, etc., know what I'm not capable of/not allowed to do, and I have a potential starting customer base.
I have enough resources that I could (although obviously wouldn't want to) last the first year or so with no profit, ie just covering my materials costs. So if it didn't work out I can reconsider my options.
Up until now I have worked in I.T. and have my own one-person (me!) VAT-registered Limited Company. However, I've always enjoyed tackling jobs around the house and garden, for myself, for other people and voluntarily at a large community centre building. I also worked with a local Property Maintenance company for a year a few years ago. But I'm fed up with office work now, however well it pays.
So, could I ask for any helpful opinions on the following to add to my mix:-
1. Should I run the Handyman business through my Limited Company and if so should I be registered for VAT or should I set up as a sole-trader?
2. Obviously need insurance - any suggestions of good companies?
3. I guess I'll need a van as my motorbike doesn't carry too much and the wife wants the car. I was thinking maybe a Transit Connect. Would you buy, lease or contract hire?
4. Any major pitfalls I might have overlooked, any customer types to avoid like the plague?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do a search on here for starting off on your own there should be a few good threads.
I went s.e last sep, I'm a one man band ltd co doing domestic gas service/repair the odd install.

In my opinion..

1. I would start new company to see how you get on. If you can stay under the vat but still have a tidy profit then happy days. If you go vat straight away you're instantly making yourself 20% more expensive than your competitors.

2. There are many comparison sites, personally I use a company called trade direct, they can also provide tools/van insurance etc.

3. What I did was bought a 54 plate vauxhall combo for 2k, paid it with my savings not through the business and I claim back mileage at 45p/mile for 1st 10000 miles then 25p/mile, decided to do that first to see how I got on but this year I think I'm going to go for a new lease and get bigger van so not been claiming mileage this year.
I suppose it depends how many miles you're gonna be covering?

4. Can't think of anything immediately and I'm getting harassed to give the missus a lift just now so ill get back to you..

Good luck with whatever you do

:)

I would imagine that VAT registration in the handyman business wouldn't be wholly necessary - also there are ways of working VAT a little bit so that you don't simply add 20% on to everything - keeping you more completive. But if you have ideas of grandeur and want to expand then at least its all set up.

If you intend to buy a van, buy it in full while you are VAT registered, and then de register.

Sponsored Links
Back