Handyman business?

How do you get insurance cover for such a business, and what does it cover / not cover ?

Sponsored Links
It is not something I am going to be doing, i'm happy being retired. Was just wondering how good the insurance cover was in reality, i'm sure the web sites of those offering cover will paint a very rosy picture.

When i contracted for businesses, i had public liability as well as Professional indemnity insurance. but never made a claim thankfully and also now retired.
But sites like compare the market etc also do business insurance comparisons.
I guess the "how good" maybe no different to car insurance or home building/content insurance - always need to check what's actually covered and small print T&C's etc

Sponsored Links
When i contracted for businesses, i had public liability as well as Professional indemnity insurance. but never made a claim thankfully and also now retired.
But sites like compare the market etc also do business insurance comparisons.
I guess the "how good" maybe no different to car insurance or home building/content insurance - always need to check what's actually covered and small print T&C's etc
how long after ceasing trading did you keep the PLI going for?
My father kept his running for 7 years after he stopped trading.

mine stopped straight away, as any claim would need to be covered by the insurance in place at the time. as far as i know. Like car insurance , I keep the old documents for 7 years , incase a claim was made , I had experience of this, where a claim for a car incident came in via a court action after 2 years, as the insurance company LOST all the claim info, and at the time no damage to either car , and so agreed to go on our way, but would not expect an insurance policy i took out today to cover a claim from 7 years ago. The insurance company I had at the time dealt with the claim, BUT that did impact future cover.

I found doing odd jobs was impossible to earn enough to live off but I know people that do. Often read articles about how some are making good money doing jobs. Give it ago

Try not to quote over the phone, best to say something like "Based on what you have told me, I would estmate £X"

I’ve just finished, but was a self-employed handyman for 15 years. My hourly / day rate was healthy but it can be difficult to make a days money when you’re rushing between 5 x 1 hour jobs in a day. That said if you can get a 3 or 4 day decorating job, and do the odds and sods on the other days you can do well.

I found that if you turn up when you say you will, do what you say you will, and charge what you say you will, you’ll never be short of Customers. But it takes a while to build up a decent customer base and even they there’ll be quiet periods.

like a free outlook.com email address
It's a tenner a year for a domain name and email forwarding; seeing [email protected] on the side of a van is the technological equivalent of doing the van signwriting using a Sharpie in my books..

Register the business, register a domain, buy some shirts; look the part :)

Sponsored Links
Back