Worth fitting blinds one day a week?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to build a job as handyman/window cleaner. I asked a local blinds fitter if I coukld work with them to get experience. They wanted me to do 2-3 days, but because of my other commitments fancied starting out on one day. Not sure if money would be great, but thought I could gain some skills doing it. Need to call them soon and say whether I want to do the one day and commit to it, is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
Need to call them soon and say whether I want to do the one day and commit to it, is it worth it?
Well yes,until something better comes along.
When your doing the blinds you will have a great opportunity to increase your handyman workload,you will be able to see any painting,decorating jobs (what ever you do) in that house if the customer is interested get a quote out asap and have some professional business cards ready,be presentable,use dust sheets,vacuum cleaner,be honest and you will gain extra work.
Worked for me,many years ago.

Sponsored Links
They want to pay me £5 a blind. Would doing the one day benefit my skills much ? Couldn't I pick up decorating customers through the window cleaning as well?

Out of interest, if I was to fit blinds myself, not through them (Hilary's) what company should I use? Hilary's have a side company web-hyphenblinds.com which allows you to fit and measure your own blinds. I could show customers the online site and fit Hilary's or use these guys- http://www.247blinds.co.uk

Would working as a handyman for people and saying to people I can help you choose and fit blinds going to work as an independent handyman? I have no interest in working full time for a blinds company, just wanted to improve general handyman skills. Is doing this worth it?

Apparently most of the blinds fitters are men in their 50s for whatever reason, it doesn't appeal to the young.

Last edited:
Apparently most of the blinds fitters are men in their 50s for whatever reason, it doesn't appeal to the young.[/QUOTE]
Though a seeming simple job takes a bit of know how to overcome many of the varied types of background you come across.
Age often brings experience [though not always].

Apparently most of the blinds fitters are men in their 50s for whatever reason, it doesn't appeal to the young.
Though a seeming simple job takes a bit of know how to overcome many of the varied types of background you come across.
Age often brings experience [though not always].[/QUOTE]

Yeah on 5 days working alongside two guys- there are obstacles you need to get over, not that easy all the time and pressured. Have to rush around to be at someone's house for a certain time.

Window cleaning is less pressured and less chance of complaints, would giving business cards work as well window cleaning? Still thinking of doing the blinds one day a week to gain extra customers if it would work better

Sponsored Links
Back