Installing blind in a pvc window with pvc roof

Artificial light emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance is a statutory nuisance - see section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

Nuisance is defined as.......

• public nuisance at common law : this is where an act or failure to act adversely affects the comfort or quality of life of the public generally or a class of citizens
  • private nuisance at common law : this is a substantial interference by the owner or occupier of property with the use and enjoyment of neighbouring premises. This could also include common parts retained by the landlord

Sponsored Links
Their was an old 2D light fitting there before. Obviously older lights werent as bright or intense unless a high wattage. Leds are incredibly bright at low wattage. Hes took the old light down and installed a new led one which I agree is totally not suitable. As you said outside lights should have a sensor and be pointed onto their own property. I feel like going round but itll only end badly because il lose my temper. I could complain to the council but would they do anything? And if I did I would have to fill a diary in for two weeks. The light is off now. I guess il have to monitor how often and how long it's on for. I'm tempted to drill a small hole in the top of it when they're not in and eventually itll get wet and stop working. Very very tempted to stick a mirror in the landing window then itll shine into their landing. Do you see what I mean about being inconsiderate? Even going out and spending all day installing the wrong light. I would know its shining into next doors property because its obvious and I would change it but that's me

I would buy some acrylic mirror sheets and set them up so it bounces the light through their kitchen window

I was already thinking that. Especially for the landing window. If it's on late tonight I'm gonna ask them to turn it off as kids cant get to sleep. Il also drop in do you realise its illegal to have light shining directly into a neighbouring property. I can feel myself getting annoyed now!

Sponsored Links
Yeah you're in a tricky situation :( I reckon at best they're simply not thinking about the spread of light (inconsiderate) or at worst as has been touched on they've done it on purpose. I know to a much lesser extent what it's like. An old boy across the road from me (sadly no longer with us) had a light on his garage. The drive is directly across from my living room window. It had a PIR so was triggered quite a few times after dark. It was a floodlight design, pointed more horizontally than downwards so I got the full effect! Granted my blinds blocked most of it.

Hope you get the situation sorted.

Well i spoke to them this evening. We dont get on so i had nothing to lose. Originally the bloke acted dumb. But i said its pretty obvious when you look. Then he said peoples lights over the road shine in his. A light that is between 30 and 40 metres away as a back street and long garden separates the houses is different than a light thats less than 4 metres away. His wife said our landing light shines into their bedroom and apparently they moved a bed because of it. Its a light with 2 g9 led lamps in at 2 watt which shines down. Thats rather different than a 15 watt led outside light shining directly at the house. This is the people im dealing with. They parked over our drive once. Its wide but i literally just got on and off. Asked them to move it down. Three days later its still there. After that my mum approached them and they said they wouldnt do that as its illegal. They didnt know what was on about and then its only a bit. In the end i lost my temper and they moved it. Same with the light. If they ignore me and dont sort it il go to the council as its highly intrusive and a nuisance. I think neighbours should get on but it cant be all one way! As for the landing light being an excuse to justify that i nearly laughed!

I would get an acrylic mirror, fix it to a stick and position it so it shines back through their window or buy a WW2 search light and melt their pvc windows with it

They haven't used it since I mentioned it! They're always awkward with parking. Have four cars and they park tight up either side of my drive to make it awkward so I've left car on road. Depending on how awkward it gets I'm considering buying a banger for eldest daughter and as a run around and il just leave that on street permanent and put family car on drive. At least that way il always have access. Who needs neighbours at times!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back