PVC door misaligned top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First time poster here, its just a couple of weeks that I moved to new home.

Its only recently that I noticed (during the installation of a window blind) that the kitchen's external PVC door is misaligned on the top.

Is it possible to be fixed by adjusting the hinges ?

top hinge:

in fact it seems I only can adjust (if its possible) the top hinge, as the bottom
one is covered with plaster (ie the top bottom of it, the leaf hinge can be adjusted)

thank you in advance

chris

Sponsored Links
The allen key head by the 4 screws will move the door left and right within the frame.

The white plastic cam on the top of the hinge is an oval shape that moves the door in all directions, This one is mainly used for for setting the compression (how tight the door closes against the rubber seals). The top caps stop them rotating once you have set the position.

The allen key head under the hinges is mainly for lifting and lowering the door but on some hinges it will also move in and out as you lift (again setting the compression).

Mark positions with pencil lines or count how many turns you make of each adjustment so you can put them back to where they were if you end up making things worse.
With this type of hinge you can pretty much make any adjustments want purely with the hinges but in rare cases you may just need to "Toe and Heel" the door, Have a google as there are many videos showing how to do this if needed.

thank you, I am not familiar with PVC doors, the top hinge screw -allen key can fit there- seems a bit fragile to me, its hard to screw/unscrew and I m afraid to break it if I use more force, can I use WD40 to loosen it ? I think some plastics don't like WD40 and can make the things worse....

If you mean the one on the door face you can slacken the 4 screws off a bit to make it easier. If you mean the plastic cam they can be a bit weak, Most adjustments can be done with the other 2 adjusters though.

Sponsored Links
If you mean the one on the door face you can slacken the 4 screws off a bit to make it easier. If you mean the plastic cam they can be a bit weak, Most adjustments can be done with the other 2 adjusters though.

Sorry, I meant the plastic cam, I better try then the 2 other adjusters. ;)

With the plastic cam you will probably find that with the top cap off it will rotate as you open and close the door, If it does just do this to get it where you want it then put the top cap on to stop it turning.

With the plastic cam you will probably find that with the top cap off it will rotate as you open and close the door, If it does just do this to get it where you want it then put the top cap on to stop it turning.

Alas, the top cap on the plastic cam is missing, its just the bottom one that has.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back