Best way to "glue" fridge door shelf ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cross-door (480mm) bottle shelf, collapsed out of my Samsung fridge door yesterday (taking two bottles of bubbly with it!). The plastic (Acrylic ??) has snapped off at the "slot-in" point, and sheared along half its length. I have searched all the usual spares sites and eBay and no-one has a replacement part (appliance too old I guess). So only option (other than replacing the fridge freezer) is to try and effect a repair - albeit I accept its likely to only be temporary
So how would folks on here choose to do it ?
Thinking that Superglue followed by gaffer/duct tape might work ? Or Araldite 2 pack + tape? What about a fibreglass repair kit - as designed for plastic car bumpers - would that work on fridge plastics? I dont have a hot wire/staples gun and wouldnt buy one for this job - put monies to new FF. Anything else worth a shot ?

Any thoughts are welcome ? John

Sponsored Links
If it's acrylic then a glue like Tensol 70 should be used. TBH when I had a problem with our fridge I used the solvent cement used for styrene model kits and that worked OK. Used masking tape to hold it together while the glue went off and left for 24 hours to harden. May work, may not depending on the exact nature of the plastic

Consider gluing the bits together with hot glue, and then reinforcing the area with clear Gorilla tape.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's the sort of thing.....as said, the adhesive needed depends on the type if plastic used - and constant cold temperatures don't help much either with the flexibility of the material.
My salad drawer suffered the same fate, and although the fix isn't pretty it's strong enough.
John :)

Hot glue is not very effective over a small surface area, two part superglue will be ideal.

what make and model is the fridge?
Someone may know where you can get a replacement.

Whatever adhesive you use, roughen up the plastic first and consider gluing strips of additional plastic onto it to strengthen the joint.

So what I did....
Assembled the jigsaw of broken parts (4) with regular superglue
Left Overnight
Filled in the holes of the small missing bits with white epoxy putty
Left overnight
Sanded over the cracks & joins and applied lashings of 2-pack clear plastic epoxy resin
Left overnight
Used lots of clear Gorilla tape to wrap around it all.
Not "mint" but doesnt look too bad and the missus says she can live with it - just as well as there isn't a spare one to be had anywhere in the world - that I can find via t'interweb.
Hopefully it will last some time
Thanks for everyone's input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back