Best way to install a lead slate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can anyone give me advice on how to install a lead slate? It is going into an existing slate roof to allow a flue pipe to exit.

Any help would be appreciated I can't find anything on the forums or the web.

Cheers, Stuart.

Sponsored Links
Fit the last course of tiles below the flue pipe.

Fit the lead slate so that the apron sits on the last course of tiles below the flue pipe.

Fit the tiles up the sides and across the top of the lead slate.

Thanks guys! Nige thats a great site but I couldn't see anything about lead slates, was it the part about using a slate ripper you were pointing me torwards?

Noseall I understand your method but as I am fitting this into an existing slate roof do I need to strip all the slates from the area the pipe is coming out of before I fit it? I was hoping that I could just take out a couple to allow the pipe to exit and slide the lead slate under the existing slates at the top and sides. Would this work?

If not wouldn't I have to use a load of straps to hold the slates on?

Thanks again guys, I know there must be a simple way to do this but I can't get my head around it.

Stuart.

Sponsored Links
Arm yourself with a slate ripper and rip the slates out were you think your pipe will be and then put the slates back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back