Best way to join waste pipe to gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A picture says a thousand words so what's the best design to end these 3 waste pipes properly in the gully?

And I also think this is not the best gully:

- the top square part sits on top of a gully pot but it tilts to one side, meaning water easily overflows to the side,

- the diameter of the top square part is larger than the gully pot below, so I think water can seep in between the two and end up flowing out into the surroundings. There is no joint in between gully pot and square part, the latter literally sits on it. Shouldn't the gully pot be wider to catch everything?

- the grate seems to be too small, so does not drain water quickly enough and accumulates a lot of food rubbish from the kitchen waste pipe (one other is for the washing machine and the 3rd for the condensing boiler).

- A gully protective cover doesn't fit properly on it, meaning leaves and detritus can get in and block it.

- the gully was blocked due to food waste and overflowed for some time. How damaging is this to the house? After all, rain falls there too...

244r23a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firstly chuck the grid away - then arrange the 2 waste pipes to go down the hole - the condensate pipe will be fine just discharging into the top - finally make a cover from say, ply with a batten round the edge underneath to lay against thee square edge outside. Notches carefully cut round the pipes ( arranged across the back ) Job's a good un . Chuck some Jeyes Fluid down it once a month No real damage from the overflowing -

Last edited:
Is getting rid of the grid a good idea? It was the grid which got blocked by the food waste and caused the water to overflow but without it, all that food waste would have gone straight into the pipe. Couldn't this cause a blockage further down in the future? It would be much harder to unblock that than to move the rubbish off the grid with a piece of stick!
Without the grid, in autumn the gully can become blocked with leaves too?
I forgot to mention that tenants live in that house, so they probably don't care much.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The food waste going down the pipe is not a problem - the flush of water from the sink and the washing machine will clear it away - now if you'd said there was a waste disposal on the sink that would be a problem, because of the silt they produce. A cover as I suggested will stop the leaves ;)

The food waste going down the pipe is not a problem - the flush of water from the sink and the washing machine will clear it away - now if you'd said there was a waste disposal on the sink that would be a problem, because of the silt they produce. A cover as I suggested will stop the leaves ;)

Yes, you did mention the cover, I missed that. Shame the standard black plastic cover doesn't fit it.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back