Best way to make good damaged paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys, i have taken some paint off when removing frogtape.

Which is the best way of repairing the damage, use fine filler or build up layers of paint? Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_111038.jpg
    IMG_20230717_111038.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230717_111029.jpg
    IMG_20230717_111029.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Remove any flaking parts so you have a sound edge (can use a blade to gently cut around it). Fine surface filler slightly proud and wider than the damage. Gently sand it flat with something like 220 grit. Prime with watered down grey paint. Once dry you can apply your top coat, feathering it out beyond the damage to avoid any obvious abrupt line. Then try not to look it at when the sun shines on it :D

Remove any flaking parts so you have a sound edge (can use a blade to gently cut around it). Fine surface filler slightly proud and wider than the damage. Gently sand it flat with something like 220 grit. Prime with watered down grey paint. Once dry you can apply your top coat, feathering it out beyond the damage to avoid any obvious abrupt line. Then try not to look it at when the sun shines on it :D
Cheers daggermark especially the last sentence

I would largely agree with @daggermark but would not recommend any filler.

I would use the emulsion, "full fat" and push it in to bits of paint that are still loose. I would then apply another coat when dry.

Once that coat has cured I would use 180-220 grit silicone carbide paper to lightly sand the parameter flat. The new paint should "lock" the loose edge on the previous paint, Allowing you feather the edge.

Your walls have a textured finish. If you use filler, you will have a odd smooth section.

I am guessing that you only applied two coats of the new colour last time around. The paint build up is pretty minimal.

Sponsored Links
I would largely agree with @daggermark but would not recommend any filler.

I would use the emulsion, "full fat" and push it in to bits of paint that are still loose. I would then apply another coat when dry.

Once that coat has cured I would use 180-220 grit silicone carbide paper to lightly sand the parameter flat. The new paint should "lock" the loose edge on the previous paint, Allowing you feather the edge.

Your walls have a textured finish. If you use filler, you will have a odd smooth section.

I am guessing that you only applied two coats of the new colour last time around. The paint build up is pretty minimal.
Cheers opps for the reply, already used filler before seeing this post. Happy with the result thou.

Attachments

• IMG_20230722_141830.jpg
    IMG_20230722_141830.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 35

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back