Best Way To Mount Rad On Stud Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to mount a 700mm long rad on a stud wall. The stud centres are approx 1200mm.

Firstly, even if I can find the studs, I'm not going to get both brackets on the wall. As there is only one place on the wall where the rad can go, the stud might not be in the right place to allow me to get any brackets screwed to a stud.

Are there any clever ways to mount rads on stud walls? Either with one bracket on a stud, or no brackets screwed to a stud. Are there any special brackets that can be fixed horizontally behind the rad to span one stud, that will then allow both brackets to attach to the special bracket.

What do plumbers do when mounting rads on stud walls?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I'm just a little bit worried about the weight of a rad + water+ the bread snatchers (2 and 3.5 years old) swinging from it. Will toggles on p. board be enough.

Although maybe getting the kids adopted might be an idea! ;)

if its a big rad i use these. at least three per bracket.

http://www.thesitebox.com/Category/4402/plasterboard-fixings.aspx

never had a failure yet.

if the PB has already moved away from the stud and refixing it properly isn't an option i usually fix ply to the stud and the fix the rad to the ply. never had a failure with that either although its often not the prettiest solution.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. One thing I forgot to mention is that its microbore clipped along the skirting.

This will mean that there is zero support from any pipes.

What are the biggest toggles you can get?

Don't worry about the Microbore - you shouldnt allow the pipework to take the strain regardless of thec pipe size ;)

See if you can find a stud for one bracket. Other bracket use toggles or other type of fixings.

Sometimes you can find a rad size that allows both brackets to fix on the stud.

i would use the toggle bolts as mentioned with some gripfill on the brackets for belt and braces.otherwise you could if the rad allows it,is to cut out the plaster board obviously less than the rad and fix some ply board in replacement gap, fixed to the joists.or even make your own studs.etc then replace the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back