Best way to paint over varnished doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings to you all, i have a simple question best way to paint over varnished doors they are reasonably dark doors but mother wants them now in white!, once prepared is white matt emulsion or white gloss best as the top coat? thank you :)

Sponsored Links
I am DIY only,but i would give a good rub down with sandpaper,prime with a good all surface primer like Zinseer,oil based undercoat x2,light rub down between coats and finish off with oil based white gloss.The pro's will along shortly to give you the professional advice.

There is often a myth with regard to the applying of paint over a varnished surface, when really all that is important to remember is during prep it is important that you do not break through the varnish.

Using 240 grit wet sand/flat back the surface wipe down and allow to dry, then you should apply at least one coat of an oil based undercoat lightly sanding between coats, the stained woodwork will now be ready to accept the finish coats.

Emulsion paints are not really the way to go here and if I were you I would avoid their use, another alternative would be to use Crown Solo and if your painting skills are good enough you could well skip the undercoat and after the inital prep apply direct.

Dec

There is often a myth with regard to the applying of paint over a varnished surface, when really all that is important to remember is during prep it is important that you do not break through the varnish.

Using 240 grit wet sand/flat back the surface wipe down and allow to dry, then you should apply at least one coat of an oil based undercoat lightly sanding between coats, the stained woodwork will now be ready to accept the finish coats.

Emulsion paints are not really the way to go here and if I were you I would avoid their use, another alternative would be to use Crown Solo and if your painting skills are good enough you could well skip the undercoat and after the inital prep apply direct.

Dec

Now, that.........................

is a brilliant post.

Sponsored Links
Jon,

Sorry mate I have to beg to differ, there is really no need to apply a specific primer over a varnished surface. The pure grip qualities of an Alkyd based system are more than enough to offer both result and longevity, and as a stand alone application Solo is well up for the job. ;)

Dec

I agree~~~ Just mentioning that the rubbing down could be lightend (de nib) only needed ;)

Cheers Jon and thanks for the reply, my advice with regard to prep was to offer both paint systems a good result, yet if Solo was indeed the choosen system 400 grit wet would I think suffice.

Take care mate

Dec

I remember seeing this on another forum some time ago, a fella varnished a piece of timber and later applied in sections on the timber, zinsser bin, zinsser 123, macphersons undercoat, acrylic primer, crown solo gloss and crown solo satinwood, I'm almost sure that these were the paints used from memory. Anyway he returned to the piece of timber weeks later so the paints had fully cured and he then took a stripping knife and ran it across the timber applying even pressure. The zinsser bin and 123 came off easily as did the acrylic, the oil undercoat held up fairly well, but the crown solo gloss and satinwood didn't budge. It's worth searching the net for this as it is an eye opener for some people, I wish I could remember which site it was on. After a while he went back to the same piece of timber and did the stripping test again and the acrylic primer didn't come off !! which tells me that the acrylic must need a hell of a long time to fully cure.

ok thanks dec so you recommend a light sanding i take it a black and decker mouse is too much with 240 paper?. I dont really fancy giving a gloss look i bought some crown satin as a tester to see how that goes want a half way between shiny and flat. if this is ok once the door is rubbed down what best undercoat. ta guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back