Best way to paint over varnished doors

Lee

This is not an easy one to offer you advice on, we can advise on prep, product,and to a certain extent application,yet we can't apply it for you.

The secret is not to over brush,apply it evenly trying not to take your paint away from the surface then lightly lay off with light upward strokes. Don't put it on to thick as this will cause the paint to sag and run, see how you go and the best of luck regarding your efforts to achieve a nice bedroom.

Dec

Sponsored Links
There is often a myth with regard to the applying of paint over a varnished surface, when really all that is important to remember is during prep it is important that you do not break through the varnish.

Using 240 grit wet sand/flat back the surface wipe down and allow to dry, then you should apply at least one coat of an oil based undercoat lightly sanding between coats, the stained woodwork will now be ready to accept the finish coats.

Emulsion paints are not really the way to go here and if I were you I would avoid their use, another alternative would be to use Crown Solo and if your painting skills are good enough you could well skip the undercoat and after the inital prep apply direct.

Dec

What should i do if i have broken through the varnish? I sarted trying to strip varnish back to the wood with an electric sander - was taking ages so stopped and only then did i find this thread! Wish i'd looked before :confused:
Any help appreciated. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back