Painting over dark varnish

ESA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are re-decorating and have dark varnished doors and wondered if we could paint white gloss straight onto varnish.

My traditional, no pain no gain, dad says gloss will not stick and colour will not be true white.

He says we should sand door first. Don't mind but sanding 4 doors, door frames and 30m of dado rails will be almost impossible.

What do you reckon, can we apply a couple of coats of gloss ?

Sponsored Links
Just done this myself, the paint was falling off our door frames and when I stripped them back I found varnish underneath

Given them a really good rub down, 2 coats of supergrip primer and painted with White Satinwood, look great now.

Matt

The biggest problem with that old brown stuff (who's name escapes me) is that it isn't very tough. That means if you paint it and knock it - a chip will fly off leaving bare wood. It's a bit of a pain. It doesn't usually peel, just chip.

The biggest problem with that old brown stuff (who's name escapes me) is that it isn't very tough. That means if you paint it and knock it - a chip will fly off leaving bare wood. It's a bit of a pain. It doesn't usually peel, just chip.

Black Japan laquer?

Sponsored Links
HI. If you use the correct primer, it will work really well. The easiest and quickest method I have found is the use a melamine primer. The brand I used was 'International' and is available in B&Q, Homebase etc. Really easy to use, you just need to wash the varnish to remove all grease. Sugar soap is best for this. As the product is designed for a sealed surface, you only need to rub it down if you have a build up of old varnish and your worried that it won't give a smooth finish (or you have flaking). So, one coat of primer (can be applied quite thinly). Then undercoat and top coat as normal. I use the small glossing rollers for all the above as they're quick and give a fantastic finish, even around the beading. Give it a go, you'll be delighted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back