painting over oil-based wood dye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally I planned to dye and then gloss varnish (all in oil-based) a brand new door and frame I just installed. I then decided having put one coat of Wickes oil-based Dye that it was too dark and that it would be best if I painted using a white and red gloss instead.

Would it be advisable for me to go straight onto the wood dye with a oil-based undercoat (white for the white sections and grey for the red sections)?

Sponsored Links
It would be fine to apply your undercoat over the dye, just lightly abrade without breaking through the surface. Then just carry on with your undercoats as you have described.

Dec

Do as the Dec says but first wipe it all down with a clean dry cloth as oil based wood dyes often leave a residue after application, you will know if this is the case when you rub a cloth over it because the cloth will appear stained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back