Best way to put decking platform on slight incline?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to put a 5m x 5m decking platform on my gravel driveway and I need it to be level. However the driveway is on a slight incline so if I layed the decking as is then one end would be 4-5 inches higher than the other. The decking isn't going to be raised, just low level.

What's the best way to do this? The gravel is very shallow and under it is very compacted so I can't just scrape it level.

I was thinking about building up one underside end of the decking and having say 3 joists that end with just 1 the other end and a few 2-ers in between. Is this sensible? Obviously it's not ideal as its not a smooth incline.

The decking is going to have a heavy structure on it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
An easy-up temporary 15 foot swimming pool.

Bloody hell, thats going to need some serious support!

And also, level decking is not a good idea, you will get standing water making it extra slippery - especially if it has a pool on it!

Sponsored Links
An easy-up temporary 15 foot swimming pool.

Bloody hell, thats going to need some serious support!

And also, level decking is not a good idea, you will get standing water making it extra slippery - especially if it has a pool on it!

Any suggestions for a better solution? We got quotes to get that area patio'd and thy are coming in at 4-5k! Home county prices.

The decking was going to be the same size as the pool so no excess wood to slip on.

If the decking is very low level ie a number of decking planks running the opposite direction underneath just to hold the top planks in place I don't see the problem? As I wrote earlier, I don't want the decking raised at all, it would be sitting on top of the ground just to flatten an area.

Couldn't you get a concrete pour over the area? The prep. wouldn't be much, and will be way faster than patio slabs

Out of interest have you installed decking successfully with a fall? I've just installed some and attempted to create a fall but found that in order to get water to run off you needed quite a drop so went for level instead.

OP have you considered some scaffolding if it's just a temporary thing?

rjm2k";p="2758524 said:

Out of interest have you installed decking successfully with a fall? I've just installed some and attempted to create a fall but found that in order to get water to run off you needed quite a drop so went for level instead.

The 2 decks in my garden I did install with a small drop - about 10mm over 2m, and water does indeed run down the deck as planned and off the edge.

phatboy";p="2758525 said:

The 2 decks in my garden I did install with a small drop - about 10mm over 2m, and water does indeed run down the deck as planned and off the edge.

Hmm, I did 10mm over 3m and it just stood in the groove, I reckon I must have lifted it around 50mm by the time it started moving and even then the surface tension kept some of it in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back