best way to raise a belfast sink 6mm to meet quartz worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a belfast sink on a unit.. the unit lines up with existing units. trouble is the belfast is about 9mm lower than where the worktop is going to go.. the fitter said he could fill the 9mm gap with silicon but i said i would raise it..

would using 6mm plastic shims all way around base of belfast work? and should i then silicon all way around the belfast to hold it secure?

or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
Sit the sink on a piece of 9mm plywood cut to match the sink footprint.

the top of the sink is irregular.. if i put it on 9mm ply it would hit the quartz.. plus now i have the door on ans the facia panel its not going to be 6mm more like 4 or 5mm.

i see there is 5.5mm external grade plywood to be had. is that a better option than using plastic shims then? i could do with some anyway to box something in.

Sponsored Links
its all plumbed in now so i'll cut 4 strips and insert them under each edge, same effect but less hassle. then i'll pop a bead of silicon around to hold it fast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back